icon

thanks guys

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hooligan805 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

To all of You guys that offer your advice and answer questions everyday I wanna say thank You.

My truck was stolen about 3 months ago and I just got it back about a month ago. The interior was completely trashed from them ripping my system out (and I mean they literally RIPPED it apart) , they dashboard was busted up, all the door panels were taken off and it seems they used a huge knife on everything that needed to be removed. The sunroof was left open so it would be soaked everytime it rained, cats wized in it and there was mold growing under the carpets. I of course only had the basic insurance so none of it was covered and even going through scrap yards it was going to cost me a couple grand to get it back in shape again. I remember seeing 12volt had this forum so i started reading through it and I guess you could say you guys inspired me to just do the repair work myself. I have read damn near every page, checked out every link, browsed through gallery after gallery and eventually i started to do little projects using bondo and fiberglass so i could get used to how it works.  Well today I finished building a new piece for my dash that was missing ( the round center piece where the stereo and the air vents are supposed to go) and its turning out to be better then I thought! Anyways, sorry this is kinda long and not really on topic but I wanted to let you guys know how much I appreciate all the tips and advice you give.

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
Man, you have made my day. I am glad this place has been so helpful to you and saving you money as well.
When you restore it to satisfactory status. Be sure to post some pictures if not install pictures as well.
Two things I recommend to prevent bullsheet like that happening again. Kragen or any autostore sells a device called Unbreakable Autolok
This is the one I have. (Autolock X)
thanks guys -- posted image.
I recommend it because unlike the no-longer-useful "club" it is much much harder to remove. You basically would need a sawzall or torch to get the fawkin thing off.
So, that will at least make your vehicle undrivable.
Another thing to look into is Pengaton Glass
It basically stop them from even getting into your car through the windows.
Then, you have the basic but advanced methods such as ignition kill, and a wealth of other techniques to render the car useless when that security is active.
By the way, the Unbreakable Autolock is very easy to put on and take off. It comes with three keys, don't lose them!!! or you will find yourself in "robber" mode trying to figure out how to remove it.
The only technique that thieves employ that I have not found a workaround for is.... yea, you guessed it..
FLAT-BED TOW TRUCK
Since that is the case, also consider Lojack.
Sorry to go on and on, but one of my(my friends, but I fixed it all the time) cars was stolen a month ago.
The car was recovered about a week later, but the column had been broken, all the equipment gone, including uninstalled speakers in the trunk, the old, but working deck in the trunk as well.
"Always carry protection" ...for your car.
thanks guys -- posted image.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
Something I recomend before you do anything custom to your car is go to radio shack and get a little $2 I/O single throw switch, and wire it to cut off the ignition.  Hide it under your dash somewhere, and use it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic