icon

97 grand am passlock 1 problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NismaX 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2003 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

I was recently called by one of my customers regarding their Grand Am.  She stated it wouldn't start with the autostarter or the key.  I went to investigate it thinking it was a broken wire or my resistance was off.  I should also state that this was installed over a year ago.  I pulled the steering column apart and checked my wiring and found nothing obvious.  My wiring was ok, nothing broken or loose.  I disconnected my bypass kit and rehooked up the factory harness.  It still wouldn't start the theft light was still flashing.  I checked the resistance supplied by the key and it is still the same as my circuit so that isn't it.  I disconnected the battery for an hour to reset it and that didn't solve it either.  The dealer told me to remove the whole starter and wiring which I did.  Now I don't know what else to do.  I know enough about the bypass kits but not much more about how to trouble shoot the rest of the GM system itself.  I am afraid that I will be the scapegoat for this car not running.  Does anybody else have any ideas to check this system? 

Thanks in advance

Jon

Jon
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2003 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
Turn the key on, dont start. The theft light will flash for about 10mins and then go out. You should then be set to go. Make sure the door is open too. hope it works.
NismaX 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2003 at 5:49 AM / IP Logged  

Well I just went and performed the reset ritual and it worked.  Thanks for your help!  I don't see many of these systems, lots of pass 2 and transponder.  I still find it amazing that the "techs" at the dealership didn't know about this.

Jon
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2003 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
I had to same problem with 2001 Grand Am I was working on, I got the passlock wires wrong so it locked up completly. I disconnected the battery, let it for 30min, I tried evreything then I called a DEI dealer and he told me to try that and it works. Glad that it worked for you too. Passlock, Passkey, Vats, Pats, they all suck.....
SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2003 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

The Techs know that.. they just don't wanna tell ya.. they'll get 60/hr to do it for you.. plus the towing.... plus anyhitng else they wanna make up.. they won't telll you how they do it.. hell, I don't tell potential customers how to wire their radio up.. We all gotta make a living somehow..

George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic