icon

port bending?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  

hello, i've just installed a digital design 3512 into a camaro, but were changing the port because it's only about 1.5" off the bottom of the box, so were making a bent port.  the dimensions i used was 9" x5" x16",  now i've gone and cut a nnew port, but the thing looks insanly huge, here's the dimensions

the opening is still going to be 9 x 5" (9" wide and 5" high)

but it goes down 15" and over 19" on the back and bottom of the port

on the inside of the bends it's 6" down and 10" over.  it almost seems to huge...and i was keeping the 16" in length...anyone able to double check things for me?

Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

port bending? - Last Post -- posted image.

this is the size's i've got now, it originally was 16" straight with a 9x5" opening.

Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

Measure from the middle of the port on one side. This is how I'm thinking it should be:

port bending? - Last Post -- posted image. 

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

Nice illustration of the thought process, Custom_Jim.

stang351w, when the port was straight it measured 16" on every side.  Once it is bent, that 16" is measured through the center.  The shorter side of the bend...which you currently show to be 16"...will become much shorter, while the longer side will be longer than 16".

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

Nice work Custom Jim, the cut line is indeed bang on with how to rework that port.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic