icon

what's the smell?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hex0rz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  

I can't figure out what it is. I pinpointed it to the port. And I can almost bet its the voice coil. But why?

Smells like something is getting hot, really hot. But I dunno why it smells when it does...

My sub is BRAND NEW, and I would say that I have'nt done the "break-in". I can only think, either I really 'am screwing soemthing up, or not aware of something, or it just cause its new...

If you need more information about my setup to help me solve this problem, ask... I figure just by stating the problem its going to be obvious for someone who is really experienced in the audio...

Vehicle: Mazda B2200 1989 X-Cab
Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
4. Eclipse Fujitsuten SC8264 Component series
5. Pioneer Premier DEH-P770MP
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  

The fact that your sub is new definitely does not mean that it cant blow, if anything (although its disputable) it would mean that it will blow easier.  I would assume, although obviously not having smelled it myself, that its a blown voice coil.  Blow voice coils are a pretty rank scent and definitely would seem like something was very very hot.  There are multiple reasons it could be happening, overdriving a new sub, and quite obviously setting the gains improperly.  If there is some way of getting a new one under warranty I definitely would, as I can almost guaruntee you fried the voice coil and trashed the sub.  Once you get a new one, either look into having it professionally installed or read very thoroughly over the gain setting and sub installation tutorials on this forum.  Good Luck

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  

If the sub plays fine, and its new indicates it may be burning so residual glue of of the voice coil when it warms up. Voice coils get hot when in use ie the smell. This does not mean your sub is blown or blowing. Make sure you have the gains set properly and you should be ok, it's worth the money to have a pro set the gains to make sure the are correct.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
Put 'em in a sealed box... voila! No more smell! BWAHAHAHA
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
You stole my thunder......
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

It could be that the VC is actually cooking if the amp is clipping or is overpowered for the sub.  Or it could be the wonderful smell of smoked polyfill if you used it and it is laying against the magnet structure.  Or it could be nothing.  If you're certain your amp gain is set properly and you are certain any polyfill is away from the back of the speaker, run it for a while and see if the smell goes away on its own.

Or just stop sticking your nose into your port (it's also a good practise to keep your nose out of other people's ports too.)  what's the smell? -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
hex0rz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

Hahaha, nice one dyohn!

My voice coil is not blown for CERTAIN! Or else my sub would'nt be playing... And there is no smoke, I figured it would just be the glue, but I hear so many answers its hard to know...

The thunder 7500's are a peak 400rms. My amp is also 400rms at 2ohms. My subs voice coils are wired in parallel to 2 ohms. So its taking all 400 watts its capable of.

I know thats a perfect match, 1 amp per sub. Maybe it would help if you guys knew that 1 3401 amp is 50 amps rated. My alt. is 65. But the thing is, I play my sub hard, but not close to distortion, and my lights will barely dim. So I figure, I'm okay with 1 right now. And that my sound system is powered efficiently until I want both subs to run.

So then its either, I did'nt tune my amp and deck right, or its because of not doing the break-in.

But off the top of my head, I remember that my gain was at 50%, bass boost at 6dB, x-over around 45-50Hz., and I have the input sensitivity on so it pounds. But I think its x1 cause when I push it in, so it says x10, it sounds quiet...

My deck, equalizer is set at vocal, so I can hear my 6x9's that are powered by the deck. The LPF is at 50 or 80Hz +0.

If this helps any....

Vehicle: Mazda B2200 1989 X-Cab
Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
4. Eclipse Fujitsuten SC8264 Component series
5. Pioneer Premier DEH-P770MP
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
A little off topic. I sold a customer an Alpine sub in a bandpass box with an upward firing port. It was my floor demo. A few weeks later he comes in complaning of a terrible smell in the car that is coming from the box. Thinking it's a blown VC I open the rear hatch and PHEWW it stinks, but not like electronics, more like something dead. I look thru the glass and there's a dead mouse in the box just rotting away! This customers nickname ( yes he still comes in ) is now "Mousebox".
There is no such thing as free installation!
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Yup, sounds like you've fried the voice coils.  Just because a sub is blown doesn't mean it can't produce sound.  In your post you mention that your subs are rated at 400 watts peak, not rms.  Yet you're feeding them 400 watts rms from your amplifiers.  That alone tells us you're overpowering.  Do a search on how to set your gains.  Also 6 dB's is a lot of bass boost.  My bet is you're clipping your amps and overpowering your speakers.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, I agree with the above you are frying your voice coils.  By the way, it would have NOTHING to do with break-in.  Break-in will help improve the performance of a speaker and it will do that naturally as you play it.  You cannot damage a speaker by not performing a break-in.  Your amps are too powerful, your gain is probably too high, and your bass boost @ 6db is forcing 4X the amplifier power at the boost frequency.  Turn it down!  I suggest bass boost = 0 and set the gain properly.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic