icon

Fabric to metal adhesion.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  
Ok guys. Today I went to figure out how much I would get charged to get my interior re-done and upholstered with coach fabric, leather, and seude. They wanted a whopping $1400, and that is only through a friend who knows the guy.
    Well I decided to do some research since the reason why he is charging me this much is because I don't have abs plastic pillars in my car, they are metal and part of the frame, and he said that it is harder, trickier, and more work. I guess he doesn't know that I know more about cars then he gave me credit for, as I am not played for a fool(funny me saying that when my sn is Mustangfoo haha)
     Any ways I looked into the fabric online, and there are places that want $100 a yard, $69 a yard, and so on. I found a place for $45 a yard which isn't too bad, yet it still is on the more expensive side. Anyways to my question. If I were to buy the material, do you guys think that if I get the painted metal pillars and all that I want to cover up. Will I be able to use upholstery spray glue from 3M to get the material to stick? I know this spray well, and it is a heck of a spray for mdf boxes and carpet on them, but I am not too sure about the metal part. The metal could heat up and cause the glue to start un-sticking, and this is the reason for me asking. I don't want to go order the material only to find out that it will still be costly to go this route.
     I feel confident enough in my upholstering abilities to tackle the project of doing my pillars, headliner and what not, but not my seats! lol Those I will save for the upholsterer to do as he has the skill and tools that I do not hold.
     If anybody can shed some light on this subject, I would greatly appreciate it!!
        Thanks guys, as you never fail to let me down!!!!
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
can anyone help me out please?
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
im thinking it would be safe to say that contact cement would work perfectly. I used it yesterday to apply sheet metal to MDF. Works like a champ.
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
you know, w/ suede you can't use anytyhing thats 'runny' otherwise it'll mat the suede.
it'll need to be a putty, and as such, and ironically, i'd suggest jB stick. lol. its what i would try to keep from mkaing the glue points on the suede have a different texture on teh 'presentation' side.
just a thought. not saying i've done it, but its what i'd try.
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

yea, I figured that out with the carpet on a box one time with the 3M super 90 spray.  It is a pretty runny glue and this was good quality thick carpet, and it caused the carpet to harden.  Now I use the 3M automotive upholstery spray glue which is quite sticky and I like to think of the glue as boogers as that is what it looks like when it is sprayed onto the surface, it doesn't run hardly at all unless you don't use it in the right way.

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  

That will work great. We recommend hitting the metal with 60 grit before spraying the glue. Spray the metal and the cloth separately, let it flash for about 7-10 minutes then CAREFULLY lay them together. That will create a REALLY strong bond for everything. Good luck with everything.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic