icon

Molds

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
03blks 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
So i have made a fiberglass sub enclosure for my car but that is the only fiberglassing i have done. I am looking to make fiberglass eyelids for my car and was wondering the best way to do this. I want to be able to duplicate the eyelids numerous times because i have many people who would love to buy them. How should i go about doing this? also whats the best things to use for the whole process? i was looking to buy chopped at to make them would that be ok? thanks in advance.
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

Chopped mat would be good.  I would buy a pair of headlights so you don't have to do it on your car every time.  Tape off EVERYTHING and spray it with pam.  Draw the shape of the eyelid with a sharpie on the tape.  If you're doing it a bunch, I would cut the shape out of posterboard to get it exact every time.  When you lay the fiberglass, go about 2" past the mark.  The marker will transfer from the tape to the fiberglass after it hardens.  Put 2-3 good layers on before you remove it.  After that, prep it for paint like you would any other fiberglass.

IMO that would be easier than making a mold.

placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.geocities.com/placidwarrior_1/Ion_eyelids.html

I made my own eyelids, however i'm not sure if its the best way by using the light for every set unless u get yourself a spare set of lights.   I tried plaster of paris...not the greatest, however i had one guy tell me he had moulds made from truck bed liner spray.  He would send in his project and they would put a release agent on or whatever so nothing stuck, then they would spray on a few layers making it nice and thick, then they would add pieces of stick or something to give it some bulk and then spray some more and just build up a decent mould that way...sounds like something i would try if i had a mass order but when u sell only  a few here and there its not a big deal to just use the lights (just remember to mask well).

In my link i have attachment points but i also made a set that requires double sided adhesive.  I did a set of rear light covers for my car using 3M tape which still seem to be holding just fine.

03blks 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
whats is the best tape to use for masking?
03blks 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
austincustoms wrote:

Chopped mat would be good.  I would buy a pair of headlights so you don't have to do it on your car every time.  Tape off EVERYTHING and spray it with pam.  Draw the shape of the eyelid with a sharpie on the tape.  If you're doing it a bunch, I would cut the shape out of posterboard to get it exact every time.  When you lay the fiberglass, go about 2" past the mark.  The marker will transfer from the tape to the fiberglass after it hardens.  Put 2-3 good layers on before you remove it.  After that, prep it for paint like you would any other fiberglass.

when you say spry on pam is that on the lght or on the tape after you put it on the light?
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

03blks wrote:
whats is the best tape to use for masking?
We recommend using 3M 233+ Green Automotive Tape. Easy to find, and leaves no residue if removed from a painted surface in less than 24 hours (even in direct sunlight) Some people like to use the 14-day blue painters tape, but we have found that the adhesive leaves a SLIGHT residue even if it's only been on for a few hours. Not exactly fun for finishing paint jobs or creating something on customer's cars to have to clean off the residue.

03blks wrote:
austincustoms wrote:

when you say spry on pam is that on the lght or on the tape after you put it on the light?
Tape the light off, then spray.
Pam works ok, but if you are going to make a multiple-use repeatable mold, we HIGHLY recommend getting mold release instead. Leaves no residue and allows for perfect replications every time with no damage to the mold or the product. Find it at marine centers and automotive shops. TIP: A little goes a LONG way.
Well worth the little extra to make a lot more money in a short time.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
on the tape...
you can buy urethane to make molds from...especially if itsometing small like eye lids...(depending on the car i suppose) i would go that route..
make your first set perfect then make a mold around them...i would just build a simple little box that was deep enough to account for the total depth of the piece plus a a 1/2" or so...fill the box with the urethane and then place your pieces in face down...just until they are submerged enough to displace the urethan but not cover the top of the piece...(you only need to copy the front of it, if it was preped and finished properly then when you uild up new pieces in the mold the back will take the shape of the front...)
Fiberglass Guru.
03blks 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
ok well i have a 3002 corolla and the headlights are not flat they have a curve to them. so how could i make a mold for them that will replicate the curve on the front and back of the eyelid so t will sit flush everytime? im new to this so sorry for the stupid questions
03blks 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
sorry 2003 corolla
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
Any mold you make should follow the curvature of the headlight.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic