icon

Built in amps? help!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
EEmajor77 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2003 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

I recently purchased a set of infinity 605cs components to install in the rear of my 1991 toyota 4runner.  for now i plan on powering them off my sony head unit (i know, i should amp them...).  when removing my factory speakers i found built-in amps on ported speaker boxes, factory made, not custom.  each amp has 5 wires leading to it.  any ideas on what each wire is?  also, is using a high level input to the factory amps a better idea than simply straight from the head unit? thanks!

CharlzO 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2003 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
One thing you'll have to do, if you do want to run them off the deck itself, is probably either do a lot of snooping, or simply run new lines from the deck straight to the speakers. If you use a wiring harness to hook up, it'll tie into the exisiting wiring, which runs through the factory amps, and unless you make sure you have the amp wiring hooked back up (can't remember, but I think it's the ground in the amp wiring that gets left out on some wiring kits), you will have no sound. Had a friend with a Pathfinder, and went through the same thing. The only thing off the top of my head as to what the wiring for the amps is, my only guess is maybe power, remote, ground, and spkr + and - for each side. I'd recommend actually using the factory amps, and doing it that way. As I mentioned, you may need to tie into them in the wiring harness by the deck to activate the amps. Good luck!
Roachmill 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  

Finally! After searching the internet for hours, this message is the first one I've found even mentioning these little amps. I just installed a Sony CDX-MP40 stereo in my '91 4runner. The tuner plays on all speakers (doesn't sound as good as I hoped).When I drop in a CD it only plays on the fronts (they sound louder and distorted).Sony won't answer my questions.I installed with Metra harness. Any help will save my ego after arguing with the salesman at BestBuy about installing myself.

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2003 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  
You may need a line level converter. Factory amps use high level input for the signal, and the output from most aftermarket headunits are different than the input that the stock amplifiers require. Line level converters allow you to adjust that setting (output-level gain control) to match the two up. You can get one for around $50
It sounds dumb, but also check your settings when a CD is in. Sony's are renound for keeping 2 different settings in memory, 1 for Radio and 1 for CD. It sounds like your fade control is set to all front when in CD mode
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
lagatbezan 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2003 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  

Roachmill    ... hook up the remote turn on lead out of the radio to the blue wire coming out of the metra harness!  this should solve ur problem! let me know what happens.

Ryan.

Roachmill 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2003 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
lagatbezan wrote:

Roachmill    ... hook up the remote turn on lead out of the radio to the blue wire coming out of the metra harness!  this should solve ur problem! let me know what happens.

Ryan.

I don't know if this is the same thing your saying, but this is how we fixed it...The harness had one wire that was just acting like a jumper. It was giving power to the amps when the power antenna was up. I cut that jumper and hooked it up to the Amp Turn On wire. I guess the stereo didnt think I needed power to the antenna when I'm playing a CD, so no power to the amps. Now I'm rockin'...Thanks for the quick replies you guys are great

lagatbezan 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2003 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
yes, what it is is that the front speakers are running off the radio, while the back speakers are amped.  the amp needs to be on via the remote turn on lead!  glad it worked.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic