icon

Databus Interface Kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
redsaturn 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2003 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

Can anyone tell me what the difference is, with a Databus interface kit and a bypass kit, I never new the difference. Also which bypass kit do i need for a 2003 Toyota Highlander that is equipped with a Transponder Device as well a factory Security. Any Tips on how to install the bypass kit, this will be my first bypass kit i will be installing, is there anything i should look out for.

Thanks

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 17, 2003 at 6:59 AM / IP Logged  

The part you'll use to deal with the transponder key probably could be called a bypass kit.  You can use a standard-issue key-in-the-box deal like an Audiovox AS-TCBM or DEI's 555U. 

You install one of your customer's spare keys into the box.  The box has two wires:  One goes to constant power, the other goes to any type of "ground while the remote start is on" ouput you may have.  Also, the piece comes with a length of wire with a loop at the end; this loop is placed around the car's ignition key cylinder.

The result is that when you turn the remote starter on, the box allows the spare key and the car to "talk" to each other.....the car "thinks" the key is actually in the ignition.  Also, you can easily make your own bypass with a relay and some wire, but if this is your first, start out by buying the ready-made pieces for now.

TOYOTA TIP:  You'll notice that the car's key cylinder has a white plastic portion that lights up-----you must neatly and tightly tape the coil up against this part.  If you just toss the coil loosely over the key cylinder, it won't work.

Also, the DEI 555F, made originally for Fords, will work on many Toyotas too.  The advantage is that with this piece, your customer doesn't have to give up any of his spare keys.  The disadvantage is that it takes a lot of time and error to get the thing placed just right so that it will work.  If you ever do try one of these.......always tell your customer he's going to lose a key........if you get the 555F to work, it'll be a nice surprise when you hand him his spare key back........and if it doesn't work, you can just use the 555U as usual, and you won't look stupid.

Oh, and those databus modules you were asking about.  On many new cars, like the Trailblazer, Tahoe, and such, the car's door locks are controlled by the car's computer system.  There are some companies that make a part that connects between the car's databus and your alarm/remote start, and the part "tells" the car's computer to unlock the doors.  I haven't seen one for any Toyotas yet, though.

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2003 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
Here is a link to a no key required Toyota transponder bypass module.
http://www.12voltshop.com/proddetail.asp?prodid=PKT&cat=13&path=1,13
There are no databus interface modules for Toyota as far as I know like Chris said above.
There is also a universal bypass kit here that is not very difficult to install, but they do take time when it is your first time and requires a key.
http://www.12voltshop.com/proddetail.asp?prodid=TBK2&cat=13&path=1,13
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2003 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
those dei 555f's REALLLY suck.. Just thought I'd throw that in..
George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
redsaturn 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2003 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks a lot Chris, I appreciate the information, it really helped. But out of curiousity if u have some vehicles that require a spare key to remote start and you have to wrap that coil around the key cylinder, then how does that 555f work, i thought the key had to be sensed by the coil in the bypass box, in order to work, but the 555f does not require a key.

Thanks again

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2003 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  
The 555f learns the signal transmitted by the transponder in the key.  I would not use that model though. 
J Rilla
Owner/Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic