icon

changing cassette to cd, 92 Buick Regal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alan rau 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
I am trying to change a factory cassette player over to a factory cd player in my 92 Buick Regal. The cd player has two more wires in the harness, than the cassette player. I can't find these wires anywhere in my vehicle. Can anyone tell me where to find the green and purple wires, or where to tap into, to add them, if they are actually not already in the vehicle? I have no idea where these wires should come from, or what voltage, or polarity they would need to be. Is it possible that this car would be wired differently at the factory for cassette than it would for a cd? Or would  there be another harness hidden in there somewhere?
mousealan
elicoleman 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  

You need a wire harness from your local stereo shop. I suggust getting help from a installer. The wires you are talking about sound like speaker wires and should go with other wires the same color with a black stripe.

2003 GMC Yukon, Kenwood 815DVD w/ Nav. Memphis speakers. Kenwood 1200W Amp, Alpine 400W amp. Rear view camera, headrest monitors. Parrot CK3100
alan rau 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. I don't believe they are speaker wires, since the cassette player already had all speakers attached. Also, the cd player won't perform most mechanical functions when plugged into the exsisting plug. They both have two identical plug in recepticals on them. The cassette player requires two less wires in one of these plugs. I got the cd player from a salvage yard, and they merely cut the wires from the car, and left the plugs attached. That is how I know that the cd player needs a green, and a purple wire also. Those wires don't seem to be in my car's harness though. The plug that was on the cassette player has those two slots empty. I live in a very remote area, where installation techs don't exist. I need to know where those wires should originate in the car, so I can attach them myself. This player runs through the radio, and is controled by the steering wheel buttons. I don't want to alter anything, so I can still use it all as it came from the factory.
mousealan
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
Its been 10 or more years since I worked on one of these, but I seem to recall that it wasn't just a matter of changing the cassette out for a CD. I believe that you also had to change the radio control head which has the display in it as well as the harness that connects both the control head and the CD player to the remote radio control box under the passenger side dash. I may be wrong. My memory isn't as good as it used to be.
sparky
alan rau 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
So, you are telling me that I also need to purchase a radio that comes froma car with a cd player, along with the harness connected to it? This will get a bit more expensive than I had wanted.
mousealan
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
Yes thats what we are saying. But as we stated, are memories aren't that great anymore, and we could be wrong. I would maybe suggest that instead of going this way you consider adding either a FM modulated CD changer that works with the original radio or install an aftermarket AM/FM/CD radio. There are kits available that allow you to mount it where the remote cassette unit is. Another reason for going this route, is if you get a CD from a auto-wrecker, thats usually where they belong. Most don't work or if it fails in a few months it isn't worth fixing. Remember that those units will be over 14 years old. With an aftermarket unit, either radio or CD changer, if you get rid of the car you can atleast take the radio out and use it in something else. You can't with the factory stuff. I do remember that there was a difference in the the radio's tuner boxes between the models that had an equalizer and ones that didn't. The ones with an EQ wouldn't work with a CD palyer. I think the two wires in question had to do with a data circuit and a lamp dimming circuit.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic