icon

First Attempt at Glassing, pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sean 371 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  

So, after quite a while spent reading and researching, I finally went out and bought some entry level fiberglass and resin.  Seeing as I was already building a ported box for my friends van, I thought I'd add a little touch for him.  He races motocross, and your number is kind of like your identity in our sport.  Seeing as his number has always been 16, I decided to have that projecting from under the rear seat of the van. I haven't filled or sanded yet.  Once I do that I'll post more pics.  And I'll post some finished ones.  Enjoy.  Comments/Crits welcome.  (be nice!)

Here's just after applying the mat:

First Attempt at Glassing, pics -- posted image.

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
I have no clue what the heck that last pic is supposed to be. Its huge and distorted. I bet it will be deleted or resized pretty soon
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
it looks goos, ive seen smilar things b4 but its good, pics need to be reformatted on stored offsite
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
ridin4jesus 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
is that partical board?
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
definitely should have used speaker grill cloth. There wouldn't have been nearly as many wrinkles. You are gonna have to do some serious bondo-ing to save that mofo. But it looks like you laid the glass very well, so props on that. Something like this you could have carved the whole thing out of foam and probably had it look better. The green foam that they put flowers in would have worked really well if you could have found a chunk big enough. Some kind of expanding foams might have worked too if they were dense enough, maybe the 2 part expanding foam at selectproducts.com But again for you first attempt at glassing, you did an excellent job of wetting your mat thoroughly and not getting air bubbles.
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
it looks alright..it is going to take a lot of work like mentioned to get those wrinles out though...you might have been better to have made some sort of frame for it, say and elipical shape to go around the number so you would have had something consistant to staple your fabric to...i would have used panty hose for this project...you would have got a much more concise shape with absolutely no wrinkles..
personally i would almost suggest starting over, as you are going to have to add about five pounds of filler to fix that....unless that is actually the effect you were going for..
Fiberglass Guru.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
Not just the wrinkles...but sanding that thing is going to be a MAJOR pia. I agree with 'cougar, some sort of oval around it or some other type of framing would have made it more consistant and given it a little more pop.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
sean 371 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2006 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

I got it all smoothed out, no wrinkles or anything, and then my buddy decides to scrap the project.  But at least it got me started.  I'll be building an enclosure for my next car hopefully next week, so I'll post a new topic on that.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic