icon

Mid and High Distortion?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
amerreject4786 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2006 at 4:11 AM / IP Logged  

Im having a problem with distortion at higher volumes witch is of course always going to happen, but i feel like i have some fairly nice equipment and work in a car audio shop, everything is installed very nice, but i just cant get it to sound like i really want it to and a reasonably high volume, this is what i have

04 cavalier,

Alpine cda9815 head unit, 4v preout, 1bit regulated DAC, Alpine MRV 4 channel, 60x4rms, alpine mrd301amp, 12" type R in sealed inclosure, Alpine type S 6 x 9, and just installed pioneer tsc601r components, which sounded real nice, and i chose these out of all the other choices i had in this price range, most of the car is sound dampend, all signal wire's are ran on oppisite side of power.

I just dont feel like at the volume i have distortion at is high enough to be distorted i guess... so i just needed some ideas on how to set some stuff up what i should try first here how it is set up now but im open to changing everything to get it to sound better and still get good midbass out of it

The fronts are crossed over at 100 and gain on the front channel about 3/4, and the rears are playing full range with the gain about 1/2, and the sub is crossed over at 80, when i turn the stereo up to 30 / 35 it starts distorting.. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Looking for alpine 2way Alarm. ASAP
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2006 at 5:42 AM / IP Logged  
Turn the crossover on for the rear speakers. Next turn the gain down. More than likely what is happening here is that the cd players output is the guilty party. It is probably clipping all over the map and passing the clipped signal into the amp and then onto the speakers. Solutions are turn the gain down, set all eq's flat and work within the limits that this amp has. Next solution is a larger amplifier should you want to reach the sustained volume levels without distortion. Also a shameless plug for a Eclipse cd player with non-clipping preouts can't go unnoticed.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
conseit68 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2006 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
yep...forbidden knows. definately need a crossover point on those 6x9's.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2006 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Your gain is WAYYYYY too high.
Anyone that says "gain about 1/2" just told the world he doesn't know what gain is or how to set it.
Gain is for MATCHING the sensitivity of your source to your amplifier. In other words, it is NOT a volume control, but a tool for installers meant for MATCHING components.
You have a relatively high voltage head unit, and an amplifier that probably only accepts up to 4v.
Your gain should be closer to all the way down than anywhere else. Read up:
http://www.bcae1.com/
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic