icon

CompuStar Ignition ebrake unlock

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jondaphenom114 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2006 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  

I just had a compustar 2w900fm a/s installed on a 5 speed 06 scion tc. I love the alarm but there are so minor anoyances that I wanted to know if anyone else had and perhaps any fixes that anyone could come up with. If you know about the scion tC then you might know that it has a feature that automatically turns the headlights off when the engine is turned off and you exit the vehicle. When you return to start the vehicle, the lights turn back on. It seems that since the engine stays running to set reservation mode all the way until you close all doors, this feature becomes disabled and you now must remember to always turn off your lights (there is no reminder buzzer). The second anoyance seems to be with the ignition lock/unlock (ebrake). For me it has been incredibly inconsistent. It always locks/unlock when manually starting/stopping the car with the key. However, reservation mode seems to throw things off here too. Sometimes is locks with I press the brake after auto start, sometimes it unlocks when I pull up on the ebrake but very inconsistent. Everything would be perfect if:

A: It turned off my headlights with the engine off/turned back on with engine on.

B: Everytime I pull the ebrake up or pull the key from the ignition the doors unlock. Everytime I start the engine or press the brake after unlocking the doors, the doors relock.

I was under the impression that this alarm had these features. Am I wrong, is programming missing, is my install wrong??? Just wondering the answers to these questions. My installer hasn't been very knowledgable thus far about these things (even though they are authorized). I'm hoping someone out there has some info. Thanks!

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2006 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
1. You need to have the Rearm wire from the remote start pulse the drivers door pin. Once the car sees a door "open" after the ignition is OFF it will shut the headlights off. I'm not sure, but I think it is after a delay (30 seconds?). Problem with connecting the Rearm wire directly to the drivers door pin wire is it will cancel reservation mode because the remote start will see a door opened. To get around this, you will need to cut the factory drivers door pin wire. Insert a diode inline with the stripe on the door pin side. Attach the door pin wire from the 2W900FM on the stripe side of the diode, and attach the Rearm wire to the Non-stripe side of the diode. When the remote start shuts off, the car's computer sees a pulse on the drivers door pin, but the alarm never does because the diode blocks the signal.
To complicate things even further, the Rearm wire from the 2W900FM may not give a strong enough pulse to shut off the headlights. If that is the case, you will need to add a relay to increase the current capability of the wire.
86 - constant 12v
85 - rearm
87 - ground
30 - to Non-stripe side of diode inserted inline on drivers door pin wire
The driver door pin wire is orange in a 30 pin plug, pin 21. Located at the top of the fuse box.
Unless you are good with relays and diodes, you may want to pass this info on to your installer.
2. It should work that way all the time, not just sometimes. I would have to look at the install and test some things to help you further.
jondaphenom114 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2006 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks alot, I will pass it on to the installer and talk to him more about my ignition lock problem. I appreciate your help.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 09, 2006 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
JWorm's fix for the automatic headlights should work out fine.
For another option, though, there should be a wire coming from the headlight switch that will test as a ground when the switch is in the "auto" position.
Your installer could find that wire, cut in half and connect it to a relay.........configured so that the "auto" wire will be "broken" whenever the remote starter is on.
If you do that, you will have ONLY parking lights with the remote start on.....no headlamps. That also means you won't have the headlamps on to guide your way from the car to your house after parking.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic