icon

remote start for manual transmision

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mario_wireless 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  

i have installed around 6 remote start systems and i am fairly comfortable with installing them, but i have never installed one on a manual transmission. what do i need to know and how do i do it. all the wiring diagrams that i have seen say nothing about the location of a neutral safety switch or e-brake or anything. can anyone help? i want to install one on a 1989 toyota corolla station wagon.

thanks

Mario
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  

Hmm... Documentation on manual remote starts are rare. Most distributers (DEI doesn't make ANY of their alarms or equipment. They just market them.) will not put anything like that in them due to HIGH liability issues. Frequently in the past, using remote starts on manuals caused the car to lunge or grind on gears if the shift knob isn't almost dead on neutral. It was particularly a big problem on older vehicles or those with shift knobs with a lot of play. (more than 2 degrees.)

As for the switch's location, sorry. We don't have any documentation on that.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
most manuafacturers use a safe start proceedure before you leave the car to guarantee its in neutral when you try to start remotely
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
johnnga 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

****************************THIS IS NOT A RECCOMENDATION*********************************************

These DirectStart models can be used on manual trans:

http://www.12voltshop.com/browsecategory.aspx?categoryid=12

I had one in a S-10 pick-up, never had a problem, but I was the only person who ever drove it. If i ever have a manual again, I will install one again (for my own use), but I would be hesitant to install one for someone else.

***********************************THIS IS NOT A RECCOMENDATION*******************************************

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  

Well we have installed around 30 remote starts on manauls as I am sure many others have on this site. Never have had any trouble as there is a set procedure that has to be followed in order for it to work. If installed properly it is perfectly safe. These guys make the model I use deeigned for manual transmission installs. 

Hey my lucky sevensremote start for manual transmision -- posted image., off to get a lottery ticket haha!

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  

Correct, use a remote start or interface designed specifically for manual or you are asking for a heap o trouble.

Heard a few horror stories.

Plus..if anything bad happens who do you think the laywers are gonna blame?? It will come down to the installer, unless you are installing the proper unit.

mario_wireless 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2006 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys. this info is helpful.    I am installing a remote start on a 2000 toyota tacoma for a friend. i am going to use a rs for manual.  can anyone tell me the right relay diagram for the clutch bypass on this truck? It has 2 cluch switches, one is directly above the clutch pedal and one further under the dash. One is for the start and one is for switching gears, can anyone tell me which is the correct one to use? I tested the one above the clutch pedal. It read 12 volts when the clutch was depressed, but only with the key in the run position. Need some help, please!!!!

Thank you.

Mario
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2006 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
Take the "starter wire" from the remote start unit directly to the BLACK/ white @ the clutch, instead of the black @ the ign. harness.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic