icon

bass knob?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, i have a quick question for u about my bass knob. I bought my amp off a kid a while back, from another forum, but it didnt have the bass knob. I picked one up today, so i can adjust the bass up by me instead of having to stop, pull over, pop the trunk, etc. Anyways, i currently have my amp set to 0db+ on the bass boost. i had the bass knob at the same point. but when i plug it in, the bass drops drastically. i turn the knob to 18+ and it increases, but the second i unplug it, the bass goes up. The knob is working, but just not how i expected. anyone know why? i havent had this happen to me before. my friend suggested that its raising the gain, not the bass boost. i have no clue.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
The knob is incompatible with your unit.  Resistance.  Also, it shouldn't be raising boost at all, which is frequency-selective.  It is most likely acting as a potentiometer.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2006 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
The knob is incompatible with your unit.  Resistance.  Also, it shouldn't be raising boost at all, which is frequency-selective.  It is most likely acting as a potentiometer.

All bass knobs potentiometers. The knob doesn't boost the signal. It adjusts how much bass is allowed to go through up to the maximum of the amps boost ability. If you are looking for more bass, then get a line driver. It will take some of the stress off the amps multiplier and give you more boom.

You could up the gain on the amp, but there is a point where the signal then clips and causes distortion. If you have access to someone who can use an oscilloscope properly, you'll be able to gain set the signal to get the most boom without distorion (and harming the speaker).

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2006 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

It also depends on the amp and what the bass knob does. I guess the question is: Does the knob connect directly to the amplifier (with something similar to a phone cord) or does it connect in-line with the RCA cables?

If it connects directly to the amp, you need to use the bass knob that is meant for that amplifier, your current knob is incompatible. The knob boosts the bass at a certain frequency within the amplifier.

If it connects in-line with the RCA cables, this is simply a potentiometer that only attenuates the signal going to your amp and does NOT boost the bass volume. If this is the case, it is probably a B50K pot. If it works better when you disconnect it, it is defective.

By "disconnecting" the bass knob the volume gets louder, that sounds like the first scenario. In which case, you have the wrong bass knob and need to get the correct one from the amplifier manufacturer.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2006 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
hey guys, thanks for all ur input. I figured it out like, 5 minutes after making my original post. The knob i got IS for my amplifier. It was working properly. Unlike other bass knobs that i've ever had with my amps, this one doesnt override the bass boost knob on the amp, at actually works in conjunction with it. Thanks for all ur help.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
snoracer98 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2006 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  

on every bass boost set up ive had, the knob will only go as high as u have the amp set to. so if you have it set to zero then the knob is going to be in the negitive bass adjust ment untill you put it all the way then its at zero, if you set the amp to +18 then have the knob all the way down then you would be at zero then all the way cranked on the know would be +18... i guess its hard to explain

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic