icon

Strange PPI Amp Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aaronswb2 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2006 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
I have a PPI PCX series 280 amp that I'm using to power my 3-way component set and I have a major noise problem. There is a high speed clicking and engine noise. This is where it gets weird....without the engine running there is absolutley no noise, and if you touch the rca's and put a little pressure on them in the right way the noise goes away with the engine running! Any ideas on what is causing this????
oscarnl86 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2006 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  

you might wana check your ground point if the ground is not good enough youl get engine noise and i say replace your rca's. thats my opinion

i know some stuff and what i dont know ill make it up feel free to ask
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2006 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Post what head unit you are using, make/model. Double check your grounding of the amp, meter it see what ohms it runs .5 or less is wonderful. If you have a pioneer head try rounding your rca's to the chasis of the head unit. If you review other posts with similar problem its generally 1 of the 2. Rca's next to the power wire has been brought up and gone over in depth and is highly unlikely. I have never had this as a problem, I have many installs out there sounding great.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2006 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Ground loop.  Please read the proper grounding sticky post.  The bad ground on your RCAs smells to me (like was mentioned by xtremej above) like a poor quality ground in your head unit, not bad cables.  Is it a Pioneer or Sony perhaps?
Support the12volt.com
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2006 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
Where and what is your amp mounted to?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic