icon

Looking for that thump w/o frying the sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djeffectt 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2006 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
The subwoofer setting is set flat, 80hz, 0db....
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2006 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
refresh my memory:
what amp do you have
what woofer
what are the other settings on the amp?
djeffectt 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
I have an Alpine MRD-M605 currently running 600whatts rms at 2 ohm load... the sub is the new Alpine 12" Type R in a custom vented box capable of handling 500w rms and 1500w max. the settings on the amp are set to 15hz subsonic filter... 30 hz would be set for interiors like it says in the manual for the amp so i just left it at 15hz since it sounds best... the voltage (gain) is set to 4.0v like the deck output. the bass eq gain on the amp is set to +16db .. however when i turn the volume up to 32 (max is 35)... it sounds crisp and clear so does the bass but I want the bass to be deeper and louder like it was when I had the amp set to 1.0v ..... I'm just afraid to turn it up again because I'm afraid of frying another voice coil like I did once already before they changed my woofer and gave me a brand new one.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
Get a DMM and a test tone cd and correctly set your gain
djeffectt 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
whats a DMM and where do I go about getting a test tone cd? can I download one from the internet? all the test tone does is run a sweep between different hz from high to low and all I do is make sure that when I set the gain you can hear the different frequencies thump without clipping?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

DMM, I'm sure you must have the resources to figure that one out = digital multimeter.  Test tone CDs are readily available retail or you can find plenty of sources online.  Here is a past thread where I believe I might have linked to a test tone source:  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=75001&PN=1

Since you're on the internet, a good friend to be aquainted with is Mr. Google.  Ask him "test tone" and he will give you answers.  This site's version looks through this forum, and can be found at the top right of this page beside the symbol Looking for that thump w/o frying the sub - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image..

When you play a tone and adjust gain (or volume if it's the deck), the tone will change slightly in pitch and change in its purity.  It will become static-sounding.  That's the tell of a beginning square wave...in other words...clipping.  If you continue to turn the gain up, it gets downright nasty.  That, believe it or not, is what most people listen to when they play their music loud.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

I'm with forbidden on this one - your expectations are too high for your current setup. If you do not set the gain correctly, you are asking for nothing but trouble. Bank on it.

The shop you took it to seems to know what they are doing from your explanation. So just don't mess with it. And learn to like it the way it is.

If you can't do that, then you can always buy exactly what your friend has and then you'll have what you want. I think. I guess. Maybe? Looking for that thump w/o frying the sub - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
djeffectt 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

haha you guys are hilarious... and I'm sad... because If my amps gain is set at 4.0 (the way I have it now) which is a notch forward from 8.0v .. and then theres a bunch more clicks after that before it reaches 0.1v at which point the amp is turned up to full power where it sounds like crap at volume 32 (max 35) because the bass is so heavy at volume 3-10 that you can't even hear the words from the songs... what I guess I'm trying to say is... if my amp is cea-2006 rated to run 600w rms at 2 ohms and my sub (4ohm dvc) is rated at 500w rms... then running my amp at 4.0v would only be running it at half power of what the amp is capable of running, and only 300w rms are being pumped into 500w rms that my sub says it can handle without voiding a warranty. .....

I want it to run at peak performance and running it at 4.0v like the output of my deck tells me to run it isn't sounding loud like it used to when I had the original type R 12" 2ohm dvc running 400w rms at 4 ohms... with the gain on the amp set to 0.2v and the settings on my deck eqs set to high where it was pushing almost a whole 400w (minus the fact its not really putting 14.4v into the amp) so it wasnt running at 400w rms but lets assume it was... which in turn caused my sub to still not work at peak performance because the whole setup was dummy proof but it sounded loud and clear and deep and beautifully breath taking... and I guess the reason I'm afraid to turn it up now is because I'm still not sure if there really is such a thing as "breaking in a sub" where the coil can handle more after its broken in....

I did an experiment today... I threw in an old bass tester cd...  and put on a repetitive track ... turned up the volume to 24 with all eq's set to 0.... I ran the amp at 2.5v instead this time to see if there would be a difference... I turned off the interior speakers to hear just the sub running... it sounded clean and clear and deep when I started to play with the EQ's.... .. Does setting the EQ's on your deck for example instead of on your AMP increase the power (whatts) going into your sub? which can in turn cause the sub to start clipping if its crossing that limit where it can't handle the power from the amp you control through the deck???? is that why they tell you that 4.0v output on the deck should be set to 4.0v gain on your amp? my friends deck is the same as mine but he's not running his amp at 4.0v hes running it at 1.0v maybe even 0.9 or 0.8v... he said he has it turned up 3/4 ... its a 1000w rms amp running a JL dub 7 meant to handle 750w rms.. so hes running his system at almost peak performance... ofcourse once again minus the fact its only putting 13.5 v into the amp (w/ car started) instead of 14.4 v like its rated to run at.

During my experiment I noticed that at 2.5v with my trunk open looking at the speaker with my eq's set high with bass eq on the amp set to +16db etc... the movement of the sub was always shaking even at high hz tones and expanding farther when the lows hit but it still sounded clear... compared to when I ran it at 4.0v with the same eqs it sounded weaker... but the movement of the sub was smaller.,,, and at high hz tones u didnt really see the speaker moving so much until the lows hit... but it was also weaker... is also normal? that when the power on the amp is turned up the loud speaker is more sensitive to hz outputs?

I JUST WANT IT TO RUN AT PEAK PERFORMANCE WHERE IM ALMOST RUNNING 500W rms

Where the amp handles 600W rms at full power, but me running it at close to 500W rms which i think means just having the gain set to 0.8v... or do E.Q. settings affect the amount of whatts being put into play? for example if I was running 0.1v 600w rms and turned up an eq on the amp or on the deck would that 600w turn into 602w maybe? does eq have an affect on that? ... I want my eq's to be set almost at high with the sub running at almost peak performance like I had it with my old dual 2ohm running 400w at 4ohms with eq's high and amp set to 0.2v... WHERE IT SOUNDED LIKE THERE WAS A CONCERT IN MY TRUNK AND WHERE MY FRONT WINDSHIELD FELT LIKE IT WAS GOING TO BLOW OUT...

and one more question... does having the gain on the amp set higher then the output of the deck in turn cause the interior speakers that are being powered from the headunit to not sound so loud at full volume anymore... since the amp is sucking more juice than the output of the deck is designed to handle? for example... having my amp set to 1.0v and my output on the deck is 4.0v. ............. THANK YOU ALL FOR READING... SORRY FOR THE LONG POST Looking for that thump w/o frying the sub - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
djeffectt, here's a short answer.  The one that has been said in this thread before.  Set your system up properly and it is what it is.  If it is not what you want you need to upgrade your system.  Simple.  That is all there is to it.  Sorry if it's not the answer you want to hear, but sometimes that's the way life is.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic