the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Best Location To Drill Through Firewall?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
streetlordzaudi 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2006 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
Over the years I've been doing car audio, one thing has stopped me from doing a complete install. I don't know the proper place to drill through the firewall. I run my wires, hook up my head unit, amps, subs, and speakers but freeze up when it's time to drill through the firewall. I always fear that i will drill into or through something vital to the car so i go and spend 100-200 bucks to get a pro install just because of this one "phobia". this has happened with 3 of my cars already and i want to do my installs myself. Can anyone give me proper advice or instructions? Thank you.
You're not as think as you smart you are mr. smarty pant!!!!!
kicker guy 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2006 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
well personally I always go thru 2 holes that are already there, 1 is if the car is an automatic then I go thru the area where the clutch pedel would be on a manual. Or I go thru the ECU gromet... but of you do that it is VERY important that u seal that hole up as well as it was before you touched it because obviously it is the brain on the engine and you don't want water in it. Another spot I have used is ( because I didn't feel like dealing with the wire in the cabin) is I ran it under the car along the frame to the back and either drilled a hole or used the spare tire hole already there to get the wire to the trunk.
I am not saying that they are the best spots but IMO they work
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2006 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

kicker guy wrote:
Another spot I have used is ( because I didn't feel like dealing with the wire in the cabin) is I ran it under the car along the frame to the back and either drilled a hole or used the spare tire hole already there to get the wire to the trunk.

This is something I would not recomend to anybody!

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2006 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

kicker guy wrote:
Another spot I have used is ( because I didn't feel like dealing with the wire in the cabin) is I ran it under the car along the frame to the back and either drilled a hole or used the spare tire hole already there to get the wire to the trunk.

This is exactly how I have my 1/0ga run from my battery under the hood to my battery in the trunk. It is a perfectly fine method as long as you protect the wire from all elements. I have mine in PVC pipe secured with mounts and metal screws into the frame of the car.

As for drilling through the firewall, That is always my last resort. I always look for the spot where all the wires from the fuse box go. They have to get through or around the firewall someplace. There is usually room for 4ga. If you have to drill through the firewall, the best thing to do is pick a spot that you think will be easy to get to and has the least potential to drill into anything important. Once you have located a spot, use a center punch and a hammer to make a dimple into the metal. Then go to the other side and look for it. If you see that it wont cause a problem, then drill away. Its usually good to have a friend keep an eye on the bit while youre drilling as well just incase.  

tbone587 
Copper - Posts: 167
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2006 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

Generally speaking, I always try to get the wiring through a factory gromet before I drill a hole.  If I cant find one thats easy to get to, I will locate a spot to drill a hole in the firewall.  Ifs its an automatic there is usually a spot where the clutch should be to drill through that makes it easy, just like kicker guy said.  Just make sure u double check that there is nothing behind where u are drilling into.  You can usually eye it up on the inside than take a look under the hood and see if there is any obstructions.  It should be pretty clear if its an open area or not.  If it seems a little iffy, dont even take a chance, just find a better location to drill.  I am an installer at circuit city, and I had the same exact problem as you with drilling holes in firewalls.  If i couldnt get the wire through a grommet i would have another installer drill the hole for me.  Well One day no one was there to help me, and thats when i finally had the balls to drill.  Ever since I have no problems.  Just get this hole drilled succesfully and you will be confident for future installs.

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
furflier wrote:

kicker guy wrote:

This is something I would not recomend to anybody!

It's fine so long as the wire is protected. This is done more often than you think. It also helps to isolate skinning on the wire and to stop radiant noise from entering your sound system.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic