icon

18 inch solox sub box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
johnnyp 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2006 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

What would be a resonable price for a sub box for my kicker? i am putting it in my 1969 dodge charger and the depth of the trunk is only 17 in. about 4.5ft. long and about 5 ft. wide. the sub is going to have to be slanted to fit. it needs to be 6 cu.ft. not including the sub displacement according to the kicker manual specs. what would be the dimension that i should use and the price if built by a local shop?

18 inch solox sub box -- posted image.

Qinstaller 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2006 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
Price will depend on how nice you want the box. my estimated deminsions are 40x12x29, and for a basic box our shop charges around 200 the only thing fancy is carpet, lol. I didnt figure the angle cause im lazy right now.
MECP Cert.
18 years Exp.
Support your local Installer
Still love what I do! :)
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 5:54 AM / IP Logged  

If the angled baffle is deterring you from trying to build this box, here's a tip on figuring out how to find the slant side length and the angle cuts:

Working your design out on paper, draw a right triangle where the slanted baffle is the hypotenuse.

18 inch solox sub box -- posted image.

Use this calculator:  http://www.1728.com/pythgorn.htm

The straight sides of the right triangle are sides 1 and 2; the angled side is the hypotenuse.  The calculator will give you the length of the hypotenuse and the cut angles for that slanted side.

For calculating box volume, keep your diagram broken down in this way.  All of the box volume except for that triangle is calculated as straightforward W X L X H volume, and the right triangle can be figured as W X L X H divided in half.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic