icon

2 ohm load into a 4 ohm amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aventado69 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
i have just aquired a 600 wattx1 channel bridged @ 4 ohm memphis amp and have a dvc @ 4ohm alpine type r which can be bridged @ 2ohm or 8 ohm. i can do the 8 ohm but can i do the 2ohm configuration into the 4ohm bridged amp? why or why not? 2 ohm load into a 4 ohm amp? - Last Post -- posted image.
69boy
black78ta 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
If you have a mono (1-channel)  amp, just check your manual and it should be stable at 2 ohms.  If your amp is a 2-channel, odds are that it is not stable at 2 ohms if it is bridged.  It could cause complications that will make the amp overheat and turn off.    Otherwise, just hook up one voice coil to each channel and push it that way until you can get a mono amp that will suit your needs if you are not satisfied with how it sounds.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  

We do not recommend hooking the sub up with both of its coils. Like black said, you can hook up just one coil, but do not expect the sub to hit hard. And do not keep it like that for too long. Get an amp that is stable at 2 or 8 ohms. If you can afford it, get one with enough power hit hard at 8 ohms (tend to be very pricey) but that will make it next to impossible to distort the speaker unless you send a clipping signal. 2ohms amp is fine too.

Good Luck!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged  

8 ohms bridged.  Your sub should see about 300 watts which should be plenty enough to bring it to full life.  A solid enclosure on the plus side of the size range will further enhance the output.

You can't connect the sub at 2 ohms because that impedance load would be too low for the amplifier's limits.  It specifies 4 ohm bridged as the lowest (not the only) impedance load allowed.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
aventado69 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you fellas for the feedback. i think i'll go with the 8ohm bridge and a bandpass box that is super thick and sturdy so it won't sound so echo'y for now. i think i'll change the woofer to suit the amp like a type s because i like the memphis amp and how it sounds, and i'm ok with the power. on a side note, what do you recommend to stop the hiss on my powered 12 band equalizer? should i ground the chassis to the car chassis, would this help?
69boy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic