icon

How to: Split-Charging

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djdowdell 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

If this post has already been made please forgive me, but I searched and could not find it.

I find this set-up easy, cheap, realible and convenient as you can run 2 batteries( one for the vehicle and one for the audio) to play your system when the vehicle is not running and still be able to drive home once you kill the extra battery (which should be a DEEP CYCLE battery!) but still recharge the extra battery. Oh, and make sure your charging system AND alternator are up for the task!

U will need to use a 30a bosch relay and attach it as follows: 30-to the main battery's positive terminal; 85-to ground; 86- to the IND(indicator light terminal wire) on the alternalor; 87-to the extra battery's positive terminal. Of  course your positive terminal from your extra battery should be connected to your equipment. If I missed anything let me know. One Love!

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

Inexspensive, No Voltage Drop, and Compact. Great qualities.

That system work but it does have some serious drawbacks too that we think should be addressed.

First is that the charging setup is not prioritized and can actually impair the vehicle's primary battery. In some cases, the battery was no longer recoverable (even on deep cycle bats.) Basic Kirchoff's Law

Second, this method cannot be used on vehicles that have alternators without D+ terminals. Using it risks a backlash in the charging system (rare but it has been known to happen)

Third, after some time there is a risk of damaging the relay since the energy going through the relay is unregulated, and during startup due to the current flow in SOME batteries (700+ CCA in most cases) and HO Alternators may cause 87/30 fusing. (Also rare, but more common than 2)

Fourth, this is limited to low current. If you plan on running for extended periods and draw more than 40 amps on your system, failure and 3 become plausible.

This is not an attack on you djdowdell, but we feel that advantages and risks should be put on the table as fully as possible.

For those who want to hit a system hard for extended periods, we recommend getting a system that can handle 100/120+ amp flows through them. They will most likely have a regulator with priority and isolator built in. Many are hybrid systems so those vehicles without D+ on the alternator will also be able to use it safely. Most systems will fall into the $175 - $500 range. The only drawback we have experienced is that in RARE cases, the system will isolate the secondary system and may not let the audio system hit. A strong majority of the time that this happens (80% or so) it is because the audio system, battery, and alternator is not planned properly and helps to prevent deep cycling the primary battery and browning the electronics.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Or just use a second alternator?
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  

Right idea, use a high current solenoid like the Scosche 200 amp model (and the same one used by all other companies as well).

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  

Use a bigger relay (go to an RV trailer store.. they have them), fuse the wire tying the two batteries together through the relay (fuse at both ends) and activate the relay off an ign wire.

This setup has been used for decades in motorhomes..

Jim

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
dragonrage wrote:
Or just use a second alternator?
Some vehicles can't support a second alternator. For example, we had one HECK of a time finding a 2nd alternator for a 2001 corvette. We ended up modifying the clip to make room for the second alternator and custom brackets. Not much fun...
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
djdowdell 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the extra input guys and keep it coming. I love sharing what I know and learning a bit more, as this will make me a better technician instead of an installer!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic