Hooking up trunk solenoid to Viper 560XV

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
electricd7 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I finally had my Viper 560XV alarm/remote start professionally installed.  They didn't, however, have time to install my trunk solenoid and trigger for trunk.  My car is a 1997 Sebring Lxi so there isn't an electronic trunk release, only a cable one.  My question is how to hook the remaining parts up myself.  They left 2 wires accessible to me from the 560 which they told me would be used in hooking up the trunk.  I also tried and found that opening the trunk with a key while the alarm is armed has no effect, so they didn't hook up the sensor (there is a light that comes on when the trunk is opened).  Anyway, the wires they left are the are the RED / white stripe and the Blue.  I have the relay I need for the solenoid, but my question is how do I hook this all up together so when I hit the aux button, the trunk opens.  And when I use the key to open the trunk while the alarm is armed, it triggers it.  I know mechanically how to hook it all up, but need someone to tell me which wire goes where.  Thanks in advance!

ED7

swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
     Trunk Trigger          RED / GREEN          (-)          DRIVERS KICK PANEL
the blue wire from alarm will go to this wire, this is the wire form trigger the alarm if trunk is open.
is the trunk soleniod mounted already. if so use a relay.
85 RED / white
86 12 volts constant
87 12 volt constant
30 to wire on trunk pop
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
Ok this makes sense then.  Basically I am using the RED / white wire from the alarm to charge the coil in the relay and switch 12V to the solenoid.  The ground from the solenoid can just go to any old grounding point, correct?  The solenoid isn't mounted yet, but I was planning on using a relay anyway.  Any good ground suggestions on a trunk lid?  Shall I route the wire down to the body of the car instead of trying to find a ground point in the lid itself?  Thanks again..great help!
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
you have to use a relay if nto you will damage the viper. you may be able to ground it on on the bolts that mount th trunk pop. i have doen that and had no problmes
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

Any reason to add a diode across the coil to keep power spikes from travelling back to my viper unit, or is that built into the unit itself?

captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
never used diodes for trunk and never had a problem without diodes.
Note: You Always Dont Get What You Pay For.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic