icon

Tweeters require crossover?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jquest03 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
i just hooked up my components- Polk Momo 6.5"- and i could not find anywhere to mount the crossover that did not stick out like a soar thumb so i ended up not using the crossover at all.  Is this the reason my tweeters sound blown after 3 minutes of playtime?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

Is this a joke?

If not, how did you connect the speaker wires, one + and one -, to two drivers in the component set?

Find a place for those crossovers and use them promptly.  The glovebox is an easily accessible and out-of-the-way place...and hope like hell you didn't already trash those tweeters.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jquest03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
haha i wish it was a joke and yes i wired them to the woofers.  AHHH... Well it looks like i won the "jack*** of the day" award.  Thanks for your reply none the less.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Polk Momo 1 inch paper weights.....
jquest03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart-

Can you educate me for a second.  Why do you need a crossover for components and not normal speakers with the tweeter built on it? It's all the same equipment correct? but  just the tweeter physically separate from the woofer?  I've seen speakers where you can unscrew the tweeter and it becomes seperates.  Would a crossover then be required when making the speakers separates?

jquest03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
what do you mean by the one inch paper weights?
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
haha he means they're useless. paper weights. garbage. whatever.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
If you take a look at the typical coaxial speaker....there are cap's glued to the underside, or the pole of the speaker....these are basically "bass blockers" The crossover, if you will, is attached to the speaker itself. What I meant by paper weights is....chances are you have toasted them poor tweeters by playing them a full range signal....BUT, they might be ok, you'll just have to wire them up WITH a crossover and see. Paper weights....MY SAD ATTEMPT AT HUMOR...sorry.
jquest03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Its okay...the humor was exhausted with my professional install!!!  Well ill wire up the crossovers and let ya know the results. 
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

jquest03, a "normal speaker with a tweeter built on it" DOES have a crossover.  It's not a very good one, and that's being generous, but it's there.  It's a very tiny capacitor underneath the tweeter that separates the tweeter from the woofer.  It selects the frequency range that can be sent to the tweeter, and in this case, it's a first-order crossover at 6 db/octave.  The woofer is not provided with anything, just the tweeter, and that's because the tweeter is so sensitive to receiving low frequency source material.  It's the ultimate basic.

In a component set, depending upon manufacturer and level, the crossover provides a higher quality separation of frequencies to the woofer and tweeter.  A second-order crossover is used whereby the frequencies to the tweeter are cut (or sloped) at 12 db/octave instead of 6 db.  This provides greater protection to the sensitive tweeter from damaging low frequencies.  In this crossover, the woofer as well is protected from having to extend its frequency range up into tweeter territory. The result is better overall output from the woofer. 

By not utilizing the crossover, you provided the tweeter with the full range of frequencies that were meant for the combination of woofer and tweeter.  That is the quickest and surest way to destroy a tweeter.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic