2004 Pontiac Grand-Am RS Suggestions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hicks107 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I am going to install a Remote Start in my 2004 Pontiac Grand-am. I was looking for any suggestions on what unit and bypass that everyone recommends.
The car has factory keyless entry and trunk release. I would like a basic starter with keyless entry, or just a unit with remote start, and I will keep two remote on the keychain. I also want a good bypass unit thats easy to install, and maybe integrates everything on the data port if I get an RS with keyless entry.
I dont mind paying for a quality part, as long as it is reliable, and realitively easy to install.
I have heard mixed things about DEI and Ultrastart when I call the dealers around here, some like them, some hate them.
Also, has anyone installed a RS on a 2004 Grand Am and have any pointers or suggestions on things to look out for?? I have read here that the best place to mount the unit is behind the radio. Thats great help, thanks. Where do most of you run your wires through the firewall? Any particular opening that you recommend?
This forum is awesome, I appreciate all your help!!!!
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

Viper 160 (remote start and keyless entry) and a directed 556u universal bypass module

rtfm
customak47 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Here's some GOOD information... Ultrastart 1270 and a Bypasskits PLDATA or GMBP... 556 u won't work but the bypass kits are four wires, power, ground, GWR, and data out to OBD connector. This interface also eliminates the potential for the car to NOT start with the key in the event, let's say, that a 555L failed. The ultrastart is easy to install, easy to program, and easy to use. plus you get two remotes with the unit instead of one with the normal viper 130XV's. Im sure my boy XtremeJ will back me up on these comments as well. As far as tips on this vehicle, the doorlocks are multiplexed, but you do NOT need relays to trigger them, just resistors and diodes. I mount the unit behind the radio, but lower in the space behind the center console. This makes it nice and easy to access w/o taking anything apart. Run the ignition harness up behind the radio with your park lights and ground and hook up park lights to brown wire in radio harness. Ground unit to the crossmember behind radio and hook up all ignition wires at harness behind radio. Doorlocks and trunk release are in dkp locks white trunk black. Brake wire is blue at switch, Tach is white wire in big harness going into firewall. Any other Q's, just ask. Good luck and watch out for the BI monster.
My rifle is my friend...
hicks107 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Great info so far, thanks!!
Let me see if I understand something. If I get a fancier bypass, will it allow me to do door locks and trunk release via the bypass instead of hooking up more wires?? It just seems like it might be easier to get a better bypass, but I dont know if its worth the extra $10 or not. The bypasskits gmdl-pb goes for $30 on ebay.
What is the BI monster? And just one more question. On the 2004 Grand Am, if I go behind the radio, what do I need to take off and where are the screws to do it? The dash panel? Does the radio come out? Should I avoid unplugging the radio?
Thanks everyone!!!
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2006 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
I second the ultrastart all the way. Ok the trim panel around your radio is just clipped in place it may take some caressing but it will come off. If you have access to panel tools they will be mighty handy in getting it off. I am trynig to visualize this car, If the heater controls are attached to this panel be gentle removing the plugs and such many installers break these in my area. The radio is held in by 4-7mm screws, only unlpug if you know the theftlock code otherwise you'll have no tunes until the dealer can unlock it. Use the bypasskit recomended by customak47. Doorlocks controlled via databus on your car are not an option yet. follow customak47's instrucitons and you'll have no problems.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic