icon

disabling airbags for radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dlek 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

I have been researching procedures for installing headunits and working behind dashes. However I have found different opinions in regaurds to disabling airbags. I am installing a delco radio in my 96 lumina while replacing dash lighing. My Haynes manual states that air bags should be disabled. Is there any risk of triggering them besides probing/bothering wires, or is it possible to trigger sensonrs? I need some advice please.  thanks!

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
AND, not to mention the proper procedure of removing the battery positive lead ANY TIME you are working on the electrical system...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dlek 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
hey thanks for the help! I was thinking along the lines of nouseforaname, but havnt had alot of experience with under dash electrical sys. However, is it necessary to dissconnect a battery terminal when replacing lights and swapping a radio (plug in prewired harness)?
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2006 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

Once either battery cable is disconnected it's no big deal, but I usually disconnect the negative cable so if I hit the wrench against the car body in the process of disconnecting I don't have a direct short...

Disconnecting the battery is always a good habit to get into.. I just changed a radio and I didn't, but I've been doing this a short while (sarcasm). Years ago I disconnected the battery on a street rod work-in-progress that was merrily trying to burn itself (and the shop it was in) to the ground. People were installing the wiring harness and had hooked the battery up to check something.. fortunately the battery cables were quick disconnects. This was a $100k+ car.

Jim

dfizzle 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2006 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
If at any point you want to keep the battery hooked up but are still concerned about the air bag, you can simply pull the airbag fuse from the fuse panel and simply replace it when you're done.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic