the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

remote on wire works opposite way around.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
iwantcaz 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
Basically I've set up my system (sub and amp) and all is wired up properly but I'm having a small problem. My amp is always powered up and when I turn my head unit on the amp turns off. When I turn my head unit off, the amp powers up again.
I have tried wiring the remote on wire to the ignition wire on the back of my head unit but this didn't help.
Another thing that's wrong (and possibly the cause of the above problem) is that I have to manually switch my head unit off and on. The remote on doesn't seem to work for it but it was my dad who wired it up so it is possible there is a wire out of place, but I couldn't identify which one(s) it was. Is there anything I can do to change the way the amp works so that it only switches on when I turn on the head unit and it powers off when I turn off the head unit?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

What kind of product....not that it makes a BIG diff. WoW, I have never heard such a thing?

If you remove the turn on, does the amp stay ON? So just power, ground, and RCA are connected. Is the amp "new" with a warranty?

iwantcaz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
Well it's an powered Alpine SWD-2000 subwoofer and a Acoustic Solutions ICS-150 Head Unit. The sub/amp is not new but I know it works as it has come out of my mates car. The head unit I bought when I got my car last March and works fine except that I have to manually turn it off and on, it doesn't turn itself off when I turn off the engine.
I haven't tried removing the remote on lead while it's powered up for fear of blowing something, but I will try that in the morning. I would think it would stay on because it has received the power up signal and it still recieves power straight from the battery but then again it wouldn't power up without the remote on lead connected so I don't know, I'll let you know when I test it tomorrow morning.
If it does stay on what would be a suitable solution?
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like you have the HU "acc." wire wired to the "battery" wire causing the HU to stay on all the time. Rewire the HU correctly and see what happens. That would explain why you have to manually turn the HU on and off. As far as the amp, I'm not sure.
'85 Toy
iwantcaz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
I've tried removing the remote on wire when the amp is powered up and it just cuts power to the amp as I thought it would. It would seem it needs the remote on wire to function therefore a switch is out of the question. Using a multimeter simply informed me that the remote on wire is powered up regardless of whether my engine is on or not. So basically I've found out that the amp is fine, the problem lies with the head units' wiring.
I think I must have the 'battery' and the 'acc' wires mixed up but I'm having trouble identifying which these wires are. The car I'm working on is a mk1 punto (97 reg), so if anyone could help out I'd be greatful, if needs be I'll run it upto a garage and get them to sort it out but if I can save the money I'd rather do it myself.
Thanks
sparky3489 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2006 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

Why not just put a switch in to manually turn it on/off.

-or-

You can do the relay option I suggested on the othe rforum.

jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2006 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
same thing happend to me with a cheap xplod deck,i checked everything and couldnt find out what was goin on. the only way i notice my amp was on was that my subs and speakers would kick, sometimes loud and sometimes you could hardly hear them. for a while i jus put an on off switch on the remote wire and then all worked well. since then i have thrown that deck away because i dont like sony car audio. hope some of this helped you out, if you find a way to fix it please post your results so if in the future it happens agian i will know what to do. good luck

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic