icon

four 8 inch subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nathan k 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2006 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

Ive been throwing around the idea of puttin four 8 inch subs in my truck.  The reason is more just the idea of having something different than everyone else.  I would be putting them in a custom fiberglass box under the rear seats of my '03 dodge quadcab.

My main concern is what would four 8's sound like?  I would be going with the memphis m-class 8's (4 ohm svc/dvc). What could you compare their sound to??  They are rated 100rms/200peak.

Also what kind of amp(s) would i want to do this??

Still just an idea..thanks for the help

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 25, 2006 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Try checking out these
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29
Or these
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-833
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  

And what about those RE Audio RE Series 8's?

what's your budget?

Shaking The Neighborhood
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
ah yes...RE...check out Sound Splinter too
cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
ah yes...RE...check out Sound Splinter too
Im putting 6 Sound Splinter RL-i 8"s in my benz soon. Definately a good choice...
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
nathan k 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

Those sound splinter subs look pretty nice, but i really like the memphis subs.  Is there anything i need to know or be concerned about when running 4 memphis 8's (100w rms)?  Will they actually sound good, and what can they be conpared to in sound? ( 2 10's maybe?)

thanks fellas

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  

You can't really compare to other size subs like that.  These Memphis 8's will have a limited low end response compared to the larger drivers...but they can make a really good sub setup depending on your musical tastes.  If you like rock and most music including rap, but are not too much into techno, these will do a good job for you in your truck.  If these 8's will fit your installation better than a 12" then this is what you should do.

If you want to use four of these, build a vented box so that after all is said and done it ends up with 2.1 cu ft net airspace for these subs.  Additional displacement is needed for the subs themselves, bracing that you incorporate, and the port.  The port this box needs is on the smallish side at 4" round by 6.58" long.  Tuning is at 41 Hz, and the F3 will hit at 41 or 42 Hz.  There is a smooth response with no unwanted peaks.

The excursion of these subs is limited at 5 mm, whereas with a lot of the larger subs you'll see 12 to 18 mm normally.  The model of sub I'm referring to is the dual voice coil option MS84D. You'll need to carefully set up the input power to these so that you don't bottom them out.  Use a mono amplifier for this setup, as you can wire these subs to make a 2 ohm impedance.  The Memphis 16-PRD500.1 would be a good choice.   It has a bass boost but you should leave it off.  Use a high pass rumble filter at 30 Hz to tame any low end bass that these subs will not handle, and give them a total 300 watts to keep the excursion from going past peak.  The Memphis amp I linked to has the highpass and lowpass filters you need.  Even though these subs have a combined RMS of 400 watts, you need to limit the power to about 300 watts.

SPL will be comparable to just about any sub or subs combination that is receiving 300 watts input.

Wiring is series/parallel for a 2 ohm impedance like this:

four 8 inch subs -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic