icon

06 explorer and viper

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joey2714 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
hey i have one of those new viper 5900 sst alarms with the remote start.  I was wondering if I would be able to handle that install by myself? I have installed many amps and stereos  and speakers and all.  but never something that intense.  Possible? and any tips?
Pioneer Avic D3
Rockford Fosgate T15004
Rockford Fosgate T20001BD x 2
15" Fully Loaded Fi BTL x 2
6" Eminence Alpha Mids x 16
Eminence APT-80 Tweeters x 16
260 Amp Iraggi alt
Kinetik 2400 x 3
nipplz 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  

its a very large job for a shade tree. a couple of tips are 1don't wrap everything with tape but do cover all your connections well,2 order a pk3 bypasskit module---white with green tracer is tx---gray with orange tracer is rx. 3 no scotch locks solder only. 4 if you have any questions just ask, there are plenty of pro's here to help. 5 stay away from yellow wire loom and harnesses 6 use a good multimeter and test all wires before connecting.  if this is your first heavy accessory be perpared for a timely install.

off the subject do you mind me asking how much you paid for the kit.

i am charging $450 for the 5500 sst installed w/o additional modules and $550 to $600 for the 5900 depending on options wanted by the customer.

joey2714 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2006 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

I actually got it on ebay, it was brand new in sealed box though, only 285 shipped! If you just make positive its brand new, and the seller has a really high rating, you can get awesome deals.

thanks alot for the help though, i think im gonna try and set aside next weekend for it.  couple quick questions though. 

"order a pk3 bypasskit module---white with green tracer is tx---gray with orange tracer is rx" i dont really get that? i ordered a directed 556sw bypass kit, which is what the viper technical assistance told me i needed for the remote start to work with my key, but what is tx and rx?

and another, the instructions are extremely vague, it says to locate the starter wire and then just cut it.  is it really that simple? i mean ive installed stereos and stuff before only so cutting the starter wire seems kind of like intense.  thats ok?

thanks alot i really appreciate the help

Pioneer Avic D3
Rockford Fosgate T15004
260 Amp Iraggi alt
Kinetik 2400 x 3
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

You have the right bypass, that's fine. As for cutting the starter wire, that's really it. This is done near the ignition switch, the same place you will get all your power wires...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
joey2714 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2006 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
thanks man, how about the shock sensor? where would be the best place to mount it and how?
Pioneer Avic D3
Rockford Fosgate T15004
260 Amp Iraggi alt
Kinetik 2400 x 3
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 29, 2006 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
You should be fine to just zip-tie it firmly to a thick wire harness under the dash.
Bundle up any extra slack on the cable near the sensor, NOT near the brain, so if you have to move the sensor to another spot, it'll be easy.
Mount the sensor with the adjusting screw pointing down, for easy adjustment.......if you are trying to make it extra-sensitive, you're surely going to have to fool around with it a few times to get it right.
If you are planning on hiding all of the components and making everything invisible, you might still try to put the shock sensor somewhere that you can get at it in the future......maybe hidden behind the carpet, or behind an ash tray, or under a cup holder.......something you can easily pop out for access.
joey2714 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

hey guys, so i decided to go ahead and try the alarm today, took me a while but i found all the wires and hooked them up, i have metered the 12v and ground wires at the end of the harness and they are correrect, however when I plug them into the control module, i get no reaction whatsoever, no LED or anything, what am i missing? and on the main harness the blue/white wire is for remote start activation input, and the instructions say that it needs to recieve 2 conssecutive ground pulses to remote start the car, how do i do that? what do i connect the wire to?

I really need my alarm guys and dont wanna pay 300 to have it installed so PLEASE help, and tell me why it doesnt work! thanks. all your help is really appreciated

Pioneer Avic D3
Rockford Fosgate T15004
260 Amp Iraggi alt
Kinetik 2400 x 3
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
LED shouldnt be reacting since it isnt armed.
All you need is 12v and ground to test to see if it works. And the antenna plugged in.
press lock or unlock and you should hear some click off the brain.
WHITE/ blue wire is not need, cut it and tape it off.
Note: You Always Dont Get What You Pay For.
joey2714 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
thanks.  I do have power and ground. but when i plug them and the antenna into the brain and hit a button on the remote, the remote just beeps and shows like a no service bar.  anything obvious that i could be missing? or any other tips?
Pioneer Avic D3
Rockford Fosgate T15004
260 Amp Iraggi alt
Kinetik 2400 x 3
joey2714 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
oh yea and, i couldnt find the tachometer wire, is it that important? and I also dont understand what to do with the hood pinswitch. tips? thanks
Pioneer Avic D3
Rockford Fosgate T15004
260 Amp Iraggi alt
Kinetik 2400 x 3
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic