icon

Tools!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2003 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone has for tools. When I first started installing I thought It was stupid to spend $30 on a socket, now 2 years latter I have a $3500 Snap-on Tool box with hardwood top sitting in my garage. On top that tool box most of my tools are snap-on or crasftmen totaling somewhere around 6 grand. Anyone else like to share on what they have for tools? Anyone have a great tool that maybe no one else has heard of that saves tons of time?
brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2003 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
I was at my mechanics shop the other day and I saw a new tool that I thought I might give a try.  The Mac tool guy was there showing a new voltage probe tool.  You place the end of the tool on the wire that you want to check(you dont have to touch the copper wire,it reads trough the insulation) And then you touch the door or another metal part of the vehicle for your ground!  If the wire has power on it you will hear a beep sound and it also vibrates!  No need to find a good ground with the black lead of your meter,no more untangling the meter probe wires. I would only use this for basic 12 volt checks.  It is still pretty cool though.  Brian
SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2003 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

My favorite subject!!!! My tools!!! I have about 10,000 in tools and box together... (box was $4000 matco) hand tools are all Snap-On.. My Snap-On Guy loves me.. brings me fresh Yellowfin Tuna.. How many dealers do that?

I must say that my favorite and most impressive tool is my air saw.. I have used the all it seems... IR, Porter Cable and they all just kinda suck compared to the Chicago Pnumatics... Model 881 (I think, maybe 811) Heavy Duty airsaw.. thing sounds like a two stroke motor when you crank it up.. pair it with the snapon blades and you can cut thru ANYTHING.. We work on a lot of older cars (hoopties) at my shop and those cars are made from REAL steel.. no problem with the CP.. 9500 SPM no load at 90PSI... (who runs 90PSI???! run it at 120PSI)  Everyone in my shop has the porter or blue point.. they get mine when they really need to cut something tough..

If interested in trying a new one out, email or post and I'll get the actual model number.. you'll have everyone in the shop wanting one..

George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
themagicone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

How much do those run? They sound a little expensive but a great tool.

NickW 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
Best T-Tap Pliers ever, only 8$ at wallmart...made by stanly. They are yellow/black with rubber grips...even my snap-on guy was impressed.
SnomanF150 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
My air saw was $160 from the snap-on dealer.. it was a special order.. I was going to get it from Stampede Wholesale but he gave me the same deal.. it was 145 plus shipping.. That is the only place I have seen them.. the blades run 15 for 5.. they are Snap-On.. I'll get all the specs. if your interested..
George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
themagicone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

sure, I'm about to go pay my dealer a vist on Friday so if i could get the specs I can see if he can order me one. Thanks

SnomanF150 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I'll post here tomorrow sometime while I'm at work, so check back and see... Ask if the CP 881 sounds right if you haven't heard from me yet.. I believe that is the model number.. you won't regret it..
George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2003 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
The ease of a butane soldering gun. Mine is a Blue Point.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
SnomanF150 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2003 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
it is a CP-881 from Chicago Pnumatics..paid 160
George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic