icon

Appropriate Wire Size

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2006 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
I'm currently running 4awg wire to my two amplifiers, 60amps and 120amps each/180amps total.
I'm wondering after reading in the 'reccomended power and ground cable sizes' reading that 4awg is reccomended to 150amps where 2awg increases to 225amps.
Would it even be noticable by moving up to 2awg? Or even 0awg in the chance i upgrade both amplifiers in the future? (which will happen)
Even if it's not noticable, should I do it anyways?
shaggy12volt 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2006 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  

run you 2 4g wires or one 2g i use 0g most of the time for mutible amps

beter safe than soory later

The Shagmaster
1999 Chevy Suburban 15" lift sittn on 22's sets 7'5"
1992 Chevy Astro Van all Bagged out Dubbed THE SUICIDER
Installing for over 18 years Looking for empolyment NOW send PM for resum
josh1979 
Silver - Posts: 320
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2006 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
no such thing as too big and if you were going to upgrade amps why spend time and money changing the wire later. i would go with the largest wire you think you will ever need and can afford
bring back the rotary phone so i dont have to press 1 to proceed in english
jettagli03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2006 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
That's what I figured. I was thinking about upgrading to 0awg and getting a little bit too much and upgrading my big three while im doing some wiring and getting an Optima battery too. I've looked into HO alternators for my car but since it's a Jetta it's not as cheap as I'd like, was quoted at $649 for a 170ampAppropriate Wire Size -- posted image.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2006 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

Have you checked with any local automtive elctrical shops in your area, I just had and alternator custom made for grand cherokee its only 300 for 200 amps.....Oh and bigger is always better on power/ground cables.

jettagli03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2006 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
I really don't think there are any automotive electrical shops left in the area, atleast none I know about. I've known some but they go out of business. Anything I should look for in the yellow pages or something?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 29, 2006 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

jettagli03 wrote:
I'm currently running 4awg wire to my two amplifiers, 60amps and 120amps each/180amps total.
I'm wondering after reading in the 'reccomended power and ground cable sizes' reading that 4awg is reccomended to 150amps where 2awg increases to 225amps.
Would it even be noticable by moving up to 2awg? Or even 0awg in the chance i upgrade both amplifiers in the future? (which will happen)
Even if it's not noticable, should I do it anyways?

The answer to this is:  is the wire getting hot?  Or even warm?  If not, there is no reason to upgrade until such a time that you add more to the system. 

The total fuse value of the amplifiers is not necessarily what amps they are pulling through the power wire.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
silverado42000 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2006 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
i would go ahead and get the 2GAW just to be safe, or be like my friend who tried using too small a GAW and pulled up at a car show trying to show off with smoke coming out from under the hood, as for the alt, just go get you a nice high amp alt thats cheap and just make a custom bracket for it then the proper belt size, did it with a old car i used to have, squeazed a diesel alt in there, all the power i needed
Appropriate Wire Size -- posted image.
jettagli03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2006 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
The wire is slighty warm but no where near hot, so I think I'm safe.
I'm thinking about still running an 8awg wire -- have PLENTY just sitting on my wire shelf -- along side the 4awg from the battery so each amp has their own wire and I can feel relaxed that I'm giving them what they need/want/can use.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic