icon

compvr voice coils

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lukesdp 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2006 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
hi, i purchased two compvr10 2ohm speakers used. but it turned out that one of the poped at high volumes, so i got a brand new sub of the same model. Now while hooking the new one up, it looks like the old sub is moving alot more to produce the same bass, seems liek it also rattles at higher volumes. however, when i disconected one of the voice coils on the old sub, everything sounds fine. Are there any negative aspects of running this speaker off of one voice coil?
lukesdp 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2006 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
That would seem reasonable, the way they are wired, the amplifyer would now get a higher resistance, resulting in lower output. But the speaker moves alot more then the new one, with the faulty voice coil connected. thanks for the info.
lukesdp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
i think i am going to replace the half-faulty woofer. i generally listen to rock, and all is well. but one of my friends gave me a bass CD, and the subs would play, (the faulty moving beyond my comprehention) then pop, and the amp goes into protect and doesnt play until i restart my HU. I am running these on a 600W rms alpine amp, i figured that matching the rms would be a good thing. i also have a crappy battery it holds around 12V charge, as the alternator kicks in, levels out on 14V. what could be the cause of them popping-off?
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
Amp shuts off??
How is your setup wired?? Maybe too low of an impedance
lukesdp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
amp does not turn off, it only doesnt play. the subs are wired in parallel, for a 2 ohm load. but with one voice coil out, i think its a bit more, which would just mean less power output right?
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
dual 2 ohm subs wired in parallel would present a .5 ohm load, unless you are using 1 coil of each sub which wouls then present a 1 ohm load, which could still be too heavy for your amp, you didn't mention where your amp is stable down to.
lukesdp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
the amplifyer is atable 2 or 4ohm. the speakers are in parallel, while the voice coils are in series. its doen just like the diagram on this site shows.
lukesdp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
Car Audio Subwoofer Wiring Configurations
except one of the voice coils is disconnected. But i did have both of the VC connected earlier, and it also popped into protection.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
Too low an impedance. Two ohms in parallel with four ohms is LESS THAN two ohms. Your amp is only stable to two ohms. 1.5 ohms to be exact...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
lukesdp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
well, it would pop with and without the bad coil. perhaps the bad coil created an inconsistant resistance when connected, and the overall resistance is too low when disconnected. Im going to replace the speaker, hopefully all will be good afterwards. i will now have 2 of these that are faulty in one way or another, this one rattles, and the orginal (that was already replaced) pops at high volumes. what could i do with 2 crv10-2's both with only one coil? what kind of rms handling would you recommend for these connected together? thanks for the info

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic