icon

LED flash

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
devile 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2006 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
Well i've decided to hook up some amber LED that flash so when winter comes and i'm on the side of the road helping some poor sould that i can have the amber led's flashing, you know to be safe and COOL... HAHAHA... anyways. the flassher i picked up goes (flash,flash,flash,flash, then pause for the amount of time it would to flash, then repeats) well my question is... The relay unit i picked up... i picked up two of them jsut in case... but...
My question is, how would i wire it so that i have two LED lights on the back of my jeep, so when one isn't flashsing the other one is....??????
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2006 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

Are there just two wires going into the unit? If so then try getting a hold of a turn signal flasher unit (auto parts store) and a relay. Here's the wiring:

.                                                                           _____LED2

.                                                                          /
12v ---- fuse ----  switch ----- flasher ----- relay-----LED1
.                                         \_____________/

30: switch

85: flasher unit
86: ground
87: one LED set
87a: other LED set

Then ground your LED sets.

Now this isn't perfect in any way. This is assuming that the LEDs do not give a signal back when they are flashing or not. Essentially what this is doing is giving power to one set then cutting the power to it and diverting it to the other, then back again. If you get a hold of a variable timing flasher then you can adjust the timing to match the LEDs' flashing. But this system is simple enough to set up with the information you gave.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
devile 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2006 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
Well thanks....
williamsjp2004 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2006 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
I've found that if you want to put leds in existing headlights/taillights you will have to use quite a few. Durring the day an led is just not bright enough to see with the sunlight beating down. Secondly at night, you won't see them if the lights are on at all. However, at night with all the lights off, it looks really cool. I used to have an led underbody control box that i wired up to 8 leds in two sets of lights and it looked like police flashers. Don't get me wrong, it's cool at night, but if you are looking for something functional, I suggest using 60 watt strobes. You can purchase these on ebay pretty cheap.
If you have never been shocked, you're doing it wrong.
~James~
pulltotheright 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  

What kind of LEDs are you going to use?  You may need a LED flasher.  LEDs draw considerably less power than halogen or even incandescent bulbs, there fore, they may not work well with a normal flasher.  Reply to this or call me and I'll attempt to help you out.  

John

Pull to the Right! Sirens and lights.

www.pulltotheright.net

773-447-3149

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic