icon

What resistor is need to drop volt?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
600rr 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

I am trying to hook up my remote start on my 04 honda 600rr and the accessory wire (on the bike) need to see 8.5 volt to activate the fuel pump but the alarm is putting out 12.2 so what resistor do I need to use to drop the voltage? or what do I need to do?

thanks in advance

Ryan

meh66 
Copper - Posts: 266
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
You can use ohms law to figure out what resistance value you need, but you will have to find out how much current is going through the circuit. Ohm law is Voltage (V)= current(I) x resistance(R), so therefore  (R) = V/I .You can find the current by meassuring it with a meter or maybe see how much current the accessory wire from the alarm is using. Example, if the current is 10 amps then you will need R = 8.5/10, therefore R = .85 ohms.
MEH66
"Car Performance and Mobile Electronic Enthusiats"
meh66 
Copper - Posts: 266
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
Correction: I meant to say do you know how much current the fuel pump is drawing. I am thinking you can look at the pump itself or the fuse for the pump. I was curious as to how much voltage is the battery?
MEH66
"Car Performance and Mobile Electronic Enthusiats"
kaezoo 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
If the ignition switch has a 12v input and only 8.5 volts of output, then it seems like the resistor must be built into the switch. It should be possible to disconnect the battery then use an ohm meter to measure the resistance through the switch between the input and output wires.
600rr 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  

I dont know why I didnt think about that but that sounds like the thing to do! I will have to do that in the next few days! thanks for the input guys!

Ryan

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
use an 8.5 volt + V Reg.... attach a heat sink for good measure and off you go....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic