icon

GM Anti-Theft Systems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
john ogrady 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

I notice some people are having problems finding which system is in their vehicle.Here is a rundown of the systems.First remember a lot of vehicles have both a OEM alarm and a Anti-theft system.The alarm is sometimes called perimeter alarm or contents alarm.They are two different systems.         We will start with the Vehicle Anti-Theft System (VATS).This was introduced on the 1986 Corvette.This had the ignition key with the black resistor pellet one of 15 different resistances.In 1989 GM introduced this system to six different car models and renamed it Pass-key.In 1992 GM improved the system mostly for diagnostic purposes and renamed it again Pass-Key II.This black resistor pellet on the key would wear with time and cause problems.So the resistor was moved inside the ignition tumbler hence the name Pass-Lock.This was introduced in 1996.It has a Hall Effect switch,Magnet and the R-Value in the ignition tumbler.Any time the system is worked on you have to re-set the system.Ign on for 10 min.There is a lot more than 15 different resistances with this system.There is Pass-Lock I and Pass-Lock II.The main difference is that Pass-Lock has the R-value introduced in the on position of ign switch.While Pass-Lock II has the R-value introduced in the on and start position but it has go to the start mode first to have the reading in the on position.Finally the the last system and we are going back to a special key hence the name Pass-Key III.This the radio frequency ID chip in the head of the the key will be stamped PK3 short for Pass-Key III.

brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

I've got a buddy whose 2000 Suburban has a quirk- If you turn the key to start- and let off before the engine fires- you will have to wait 10 minutes for the security system to reset- then just be sure to not let off the key until it starts-- there is NO remote starter installed- and no security system- strictly OEM-- I was wondering- can't I simply install the proper resistor (matched) across the anti-theft circuit- so as to permanently bypass this- much like I have done on the cars with chips in the keys-- This would be a Passlock system- and I have bypassed them using relays for remote start- but never permanently- will it work?

Several times my '94 Firebird let me sit- until the security light went out- due to not reading the resistor in the key correctly- I bypassed it with the proper resistor- and no more problems- I realize the theft deterrent is no longer active- but I have never heard anyone say- boy that GM antitheft device saved my car from being stolen.  Besides, it is my car, I should be able to do with it what I want.

Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic