icon

2 amps, 1 bass knob, phone splitter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
conair 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
The Infinity Ref611a amps have an optional remote sensitivity control (aka bass knob) that is linked to it via a 4-wire phone cord or CAT3 cord. It appears that this is fairly standard for most manufacturers. I am currently installing 2 of these amps into a client’s car and have one of the bass knobs. Does anyone know if you can use just a single knob to control 2 amps? Maybe through the use of a phone line splitter? That would cause the amps to be in parallel to one another on the circuit, and I am afraid that it could possibly damage one or both of the amps. Any info or experiences on this matter, whether it pertains to Infinity or another manufacturer's amps would be very helpful. I have sent an email to Infinity, but am still waiting for a reply. When/if they do, I will be sure to post what they have to say.
Thanks.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
No. It simply won't work, because the amplifiers will be "seeing" each other, electrically...
Don't try it. I can't say whether it will damage one amp or the other, or even possibly both, but the results will certainly NOT be wahat is expected or desired.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jeremey1000 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
A guy came to my store with the same problem. He had 2 kole 2400w class d's and only one remote gain.
He told me he had a phone splitter and was going to use it to connect them both. I told him I didnt think it would work do to the fact that the wire is sending and reciving. Well even though I am the installer and this was only his frist big setup, He did it anyway. He turned it on and the remote led lit up so he smiled but the seconed they cd started to play ....We seen sparks smoke and flame. Poor guy didnt even have for 2 days. So I can say I have seen it not work.
The idea of adding proper resistance seems like it might work but that might not work aswell.
The safe way would to be either ordering another gain or installing a crossover that comes with one and relying on that.
Jeremey1000 Has Spoken
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
I know you can use one bass knob for multipile amps for Kicker amps...but unsure on others...I know memphis will not work for sure
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
I think you can only do it if they are strappable...I had two Kenwood 9152d's strapped together on one bass controller...
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
conair 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2006 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
That pretty much settles it for me, I am going to go ahead and let the client know that it would require 2 knobs, or better yet, none. An Alpine PXA-7201 is being installed also, and it is more than capable of handling the "bass knob" duties.
Mostly I was just curious about the possibility of 1 knob controlling multiple amps. It would seem to me that the companies that use this CAT3/RJ11 control link method would foresee the possibility that someone might try to use a splitter. Service and support or even a slight chance of them being held liable in the event someone damages their equipment, would normally cause them to address this sort of thing in the provided literature.
When/if I hear from Infinity, I will post their reply. Thank you for your thoughts.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  
I had forgotten about this thread. It is possible to get "ganged" potentiometers, though. Hell, even Radio Shack has them. Two potentiometers on the SAME KNOB is perfectly safe to do, you would just have to run two control knob cables - one for each amp still.
A little creative destruction on your part will be necessary. Simply open one of them up, and use your VOM to measure the resistance of the OEM remote, and buy another ganged pot of similar value. Sure, you're gonna have to build it, but it shouldn't be that difficult a proposition.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
conair 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
That is a great idea haemphyst, very elegant. I just might have to try that. I could even use CAT5 to link it to the amps.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic