icon

1990 Buick LeSabre head unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
t0ny 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

It seems that I've run into a problem attempting to wire my new JVC KD-S52.  I know the wiring schematic on both the radio and the car, yet still cannot figure out how to get it to work.

From the stock radio harness, after being spliced, there are 6 wires from the power(black) plug.  On the head unit there are only 5.  My problem is figuring out which wires are needed and which aren't.  We've tried hooking up the two +/-12v wires from the stock harness(which are named on the schematic as 12v constant, ignition[orange] and 12v switched, battery[yellow]) but all that happens when it is turned on is a momentary power up followed by a complete shutdown and failure to continue working.

I can't for the life of me figure out what to do now.  We tinkered for 2 hours with no luck.  If anyone has any suggestions or information, that would be amazing.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  

use a meter to check every thing. and make sure  you got a good connection on every thing. if all else fails got to a local audio shop

1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 91 lesabre, in my car i believe that the orange is my battery and my yellow is ingition for some reason. did you try and put a cd in the HU? does it try to pull it in or does it do nothing?
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
If you bought a Metra/scosche etc wiring harness you would have no problems.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
The orange wire is battery power and the yellow right next to it in the same plug is the ignition feed for the radio. In case the factory ground wire (black in same plug as the 2 power wires) is bad, run a gorund wire to the vehicle chassis. Scrape away any paint to make a good connection. Ideally spend a few dollars and buy a harness adaptor. It makes the job a snap and eliminates any wiring woes. You will also likely need an antenna adaptor anyways.
sparky
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
i have a thought but im not sure if it is whats wrong, when i hook up the battery wire and ground only my HU turn on and does the same thing, is your ignition wire bad?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic