icon

Truck Bed Security

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sparkyz125 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, I'm an installer and was looking for ideas on keeping my truck bed secure. Sometimes I have to leave my motorcyle in the back of my truck overnight. Some of the things I've thought of, please give me any input you have on this subject. First a pin switch for the tailgate.

Second maybe try a shock sensor mounted in the tail light housing. We had a customer with one and it seemed to work when someone would undo the snap taneau cover. Maybe it would work if someone jumped in the bed.

Another idea I had was to use a closed loop sensor to go through the front wheel. I haven't seen the DEI unit but from the picture it looks like a regular wire. I would be looking for something that I could easily connect and disconnect but would set off the alarm when disconnected. It seems like if the DEI one is just wires you could just tag a wire into it and jump it to prevent it from going off. Any ideas.

One other thing I've thought of trying would be a field disturbance sensor. In most applications they seem to be more hassle than they are worth though. Since they won't go through metal the only interior location I could mount would be near the rear window to cover the bed correct? I don't know how that would look or function?

My final idea would be a pressure switch for the front wheel against the bed. I've never used the DEI version so I don't know how it would withstand the wheel pushing against it and the elements.

Thats all I can think of, let me know your thoughts or ideas. Thanks

bsd1 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 4:49 AM / IP Logged  
sparkyz125 wrote:
It seems like if the DEI one is just wires you could just tag a wire into it and jump it to prevent it from going off. Any ideas.
That's true. But then if the wiring is hidden enough, the alarm might go off before the thief discovers the existence of 502T. Though it's possible to use one 502T to protect the whole car front and rear with foglights/emblem (drilled)/license frame, I'm using two 502Ts, one for the front and another for the rear.
sparkyz125 wrote:
One other thing I've thought of trying would be a field disturbance sensor. In most applications they seem to be more hassle than they are worth though. Since they won't go through metal the only interior location I could mount would be near the rear window to cover the bed correct? I don't know how that would look or function?
I had two 508Ds in my car so I can set the sensitivity not too high and yet it covers the whole car pretty well. Two smaller outer circles is more precise than one big circle. So perhaps you can find a good location and mount your 508D there?
Why not use both 502T and 508D?
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
Big thick chains... I've done the pin switch and proximities before... they seemed to work pretty goood, but I like the Idea oof a pressure switch.... basicallly if they are gonna jack your bike, they have to get into the bed, soo a shock would word great, as would a pin switch (if the tailgate remains closed with the bike in iit...) open tg alarm triggers.. or rig something to yoour tiedowns, ground breaks an alarm triggers??? neat Idea
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
Try using a magnetic reed switch instead of a pin switch. They last longer in that environment (no moving parts). If it's your bike you are primarily concerned with, try mounting a shock sendor to the bike in a protected area. Wire it with a quick disconnect plug like a trailer harness. If they move the bike it will trigger the alarm. Microwave sensors will work too, but only if the bed is protected from the environment and its effect on anything in the bed that may move. I usually only use them with a truck cap to protect the bed.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic