Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joeeyo 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2003 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all,

Nice site with LOTS of info!!!! 

A friend has a FORD remote start/alarm he salvaged out of his wifes car that was totalled.  My question is, using the info here (wiring diagrams) is the a Do-It-Yourself install or is it alittle deep???  It DOES have the by-pass module (put extra key in).

Also, what is the guess on how much time it will take?

We planned on using the "bugs" where you lay the original wire in, lay the unit wire next to it and close it.  Are these OK to use???

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY TIME AND/OR ASSISTANCE YOU MAY PROVIDE!!!!!!!!

Joey "O"

joeeyo@comcast.net

Joey "O"
brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2003 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
If this is your first remote start take your time.  Dont hurry, check your wires with a meter and if you run into a problem come here and ask.  The installation of these units are not hard.  The thing is that every vehicle is diffrent and you need to know the diffrences and how to get around the diffrent door lock systems and what not.  It usually takes me about 4 to 6 hours for a full featured alarm/remote start with all the funtions hooked up.  Some peple are faster and some are slower.  You are probably looking at a full day job. Be sure to do this on a weekend so if you run over on time it wont be a big deal.  Good luck on your install!  Brian
Stangslvr 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2003 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Use solder and tape.  Those type of connectors arent great and you dont want any problems.  REmote starts have a lot of wires with power running through it at one time, so make sure all connections are good and solder them!  T taps are ok in some situations, but they just dont last!
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2003 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Solder all of the wires that you install in the main Ignition harness for sure.  You will be just OK using connectors for your parking lights and keyless entry if you so choose, but solder is always better.  I will occasionally use a connector if I cannot reach a wire very easily to solder it, but i always secure the wire to the target wire with tape and then leave slack in case the wire gets tugged some how, then it wont rip out.  This should take you about 8 hours Is my guess
J Rilla
Owner/Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic