icon

Factory amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Um my deck harness has a square one AND a long skinny one.
Also there is no factory sub...I always see Mach Audio, Premium, and JBL system listed for my Explorer but _ I dunno what it is...all I know is that the factory speakers had "premium speakers" printed on the magnets and that they sounded like sloppy buttsex
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
One more thing, if you bring the factory deck in to match the plug remember that the plug should look identical to what is on the back of the deck, not plug into it. If the salesperson misunderstands you might get a reverse harness (71-1771) which the opposite of what you need. I always prefer to check the vehicle and/or deck, especially on fords before I sell a harness since I have so many customers returning the wrong plug that was sold by someone who didn't physically check which one was correct and many times with fords the part reccomended, even by the company that makes the plug, is off.
aznboi3644 
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
i already have a harness as I have an aftermarket Alpine head unit but it doesn't sound the same...just a hell of a lot louder than when the alpine was in my previous car that I knew didn't have a factory amp...and my old car I installed 4 pioneer 5.25s and I could turn the volume up to 20 (max is 35) and the speakers sounded perfect.
Now on my explorer I can't turn it up past 14 before it starts to sound like complete ass....and I have kenwood 6by8's all around...and all eq settings are at 0. In my last car I could turn it up to 20 and have the bass up +4 and it still sounded clear as a bell
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
Ok..if you have the skinny one and the smaller square one with a gray cable that is a premium sound and it is amplified. This is an example of my last post reply about fords. You can use either a ford amp integrator harness or an amp eliminator harness. These both are very popular so if the stero shop does not have these I would question thier porfessionalism. If not you can get it at any circuit city, bestbuy type place as I know they stock these. The bad news is it will cost probably 18 to 20 dollars and but unless you know someone in the industry of have a retail business id that what they sell for. I get them for under 3 dollars. If you want to integrate that is the easiest way (lazy) but assuming the speaker are good and in phase, and the factory amp is ok, it will work. That is how I did my roomates and she loves it. I installed a top of the line JVC and new speakers, she doesn't even want a sub but one day I am going to steal her truck and install one because a system without a sub sucks. Now if you wish to bypass for whatever reason this is the easy way. The eliminator harness has 3 plugs. The long one is for your power, ground, constant, illumination and remote. The small square one is your speakers and is standard color code to your aftermarket deck. Now access the amp in the REAR and unplug both plugs. Take the last harness which has a plug at both ends and plug the ones that you removed from the amp into the ends that it fits. Now your amp is bypassed, you can remove it and use as a doorstop, or toss it around and burn up the circuit board like I do, or just leave it in there as dead weight. No longer well your system sound like sloppy buttsex or even neat butt sex.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
ok, now at least I am getting some useable info from you...If the amp in the back is still plugged in your Alpine is playing through it. They do sell just the bypass harness part for the amp as a seperate piece (you don't need all 3 since you alreay have the 2 at the dash) however no one ever stocks those. shame, but I have like 50 of those in my junk box. However, other then cutting the wires off the amp and running them to the dash the bypass or "eliminator" harness is the way to go and the previous post reply explains how easy it is. Buy the eliminator harness and just save the other 2 plugs for whatever, you will only need the one for the amp. Now if the amp is already bypassed you have other issues. If you know what "phasing" is I would check that as all too often less experienced installers don't check it. If you don't know a simple check is first fade the unit all the way to the front and play something with moderate bass. Now balance the deck to one side. If the bass sounds fuller and then when you balance it back to the center it sounds like ass again, take the left or right speaker wires and switch them (the positive and negative or the striped one to the solid one if you don't understand the terms.. Listen  for improvment. Remember to only switch one speaker or the system will again be 180 degrees out of phase. Now fade to the rear and do the same. If you are going to do the bypass check this again after and see how much better your system sounds. If none of this works get back to me and we will seek another solution. Maybe you need the ass eliminator harness.
aznboi3644 
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
Sweet...thanks man...you have been a great help.
I've wanted to bypass this for like a year now but hell no one here knows if my truck had a factory amp or not cuz every installer has told me.."well it is a possibility"
Then the other week I was looking around in the back and found this box with a shetload of wires coming in and out of it and thought..."what the _ is this?!?!" lol
Well thanks Master...I'll check with my shop tomorrow and see if they have the bypass connector
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
Cool beans. I can't imagine any reason they don't have those as explorers are extremely popular. I would loose a ton of business if I didn't stock those harnesses at my shop. The only thing I would double check is the passenger side. I know most explorers have the amp there and a "box" with tons of wires coming out of it does not really satisfy my definition of an amp with enough accuracy. I do know that some of the trucks do have them on the drivers side, which is easier to access due to the spare tire compartment but the simplest thing I guess is to see if the bypass plug fits the ones on the "box" behind the driver side. If not or if you  have any doubts it will be on the passenger side which is a little bit of a pain to get to but not too bad. Best of luck.
aznboi3644 
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
Ok...this sucks...because that box I THOUGHT was the amp that is in the drivers side rear panel is not the amp.
Well atleast I think it is not as I UNPLUGGED both connectors going into the box and the music still played through the speakers.
So what the hell?? lol
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
The amp should be behind the passenger side rear panel but you can access the speaker wires in the passenger kick panel. They will be standard Ford colors. Go to general info on the left and click on vehicle wiring.
There is no such thing as free installation!
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
Sweet...thanks man...you have been a great help.
I've wanted to bypass this for like a year now but hell no one here knows if my truck had a factory amp or not cuz every installer has told me.."well it is a possibility"
Then the other week I was looking around in the back and found this box with a shetload of wires coming in and out of it and thought..."what the _ is this?!?!" lol
Well thanks Master...I'll check with my shop tomorrow and see if they have the bypass connector

I think he wants to bypass the amp.

There is no such thing as free installation!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic