icon

Air Horns Solenoid Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
n2pool 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

Guys I need some help wiring my air solenoid for my train horns.

What I've done is put an illuminated switch in my dash. I hooked my horn button wire into the load connector and the postive from the solenoid to the supply. I then ground the switch. When I turn the switch on it illuminates then when I  push steering wheel horn button the illumination  goes out and the truck horn sounds off and the train  horn does nothing. For what ever reason it won't actuate the air solenoid for my horn. Also if I connect the ground wire of the solenoid to the frame it will set off the train horn constantly

I was told I need a relay. Could some please tell me how to  hook up the relay in the simplest of terms. I have know idea how to do this.

n2pool
n2pool 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry I forgot to list this is a 2000 F250 superduty
n2pool
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
You're not likely to get much help, here...
1: Train horns on a street vehicle are illegal in all 50 states, and
2: Most of us here think that people who disregard this law should have the death penalty applied.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
n2pool 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for your honesty. Hornblasters.com sent me here. they said this was there "sister site"
n2pool
n2pool 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys don't mind this thread. I figured it out by reading another thread.

thanks and sorry for any inconvenience I caused

n2pool
ill-logix 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
You're not likely to get much help, here...
1: Train horns on a street vehicle are illegal in all 50 states, and
2: Most of us here think that people who disregard this law should have the death penalty applied.

The law in florida says 'a Horn will not be excesivly loud or offensive'.  Thats it, nothing quantitative...    I have a set of semi air horns on my f-150.  They sound an awful lot lake a train horn and are awful loud...  With that said, there is no GVW rating for these horns which makes them perfectly legal.

On a safety note, dont be a butt hole and blast the thing just to scare people. 

Most car interiors are so well insulated you can barely hear an emergency vehicle moving up on you let alone a wimpy stock horn.  Two years ago I was run off the interstate cause a semi merged into my lane and either coulfnt hear my horn or ignored it. But when I need to get some ones attention now Ill get it.. 

Just some food for thought....

bsd1 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  
n2pool wrote:
I figured it out by reading another thread.
You should have searched the forum before starting this thread anyway. Using the search keyword "train horn", there were quite a few results, even with a more complicated 3 horns setup with diagram by me.
Even though many regulars here always think that they are expert and know everything, you definitely don't have to listen to them when they say this is illegal or that's whatever penalty, let alone apologize.
In fact, saying train horn on a street vehicle are illegal in all 50 states is completely nonsense and incorrect. Any vehicle/truck/train with a train horn installed is absolutely legal. Trains using it in a quiet zone is illegal. They know where the quiet zones are and train horn law is targeted to trains only. Vehicle/truck using it improperly and abuse it can be ticketed under other code of violation (at least in California), but there is no such code against the use of train horn specifically.
I too use train horn on my car but 90% of its usage is connect it to my alarm and blast only when obvious instant triggers have been triggered, best on earth to get people attention. The other 10% is to outhonk others when necessary and showing off to my friends while the car is parked.
Even though using it to scare people is not illegal, it definitely is not a moral thing to do, that's your choice.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 4:50 AM / IP Logged  
Put 30 to a good ground. Put 85 to the - feed from the switch. put 86 to 12volt+. put 87 to the solinoid. Opps, it's illegal sorry. ignore this. my bad
ill-logix 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
This is how I set up mine, I have an led rocker switch that I can use to toggle between the stock horn and the air horn.
-Wire +12 on one side of the switch and wire the other side to pin 86 of the relay.
-Wire ground to pin 85 of the relay.
-Cut the control wire going to your stock horn and wire that to pin 30 of the relay.
-Take the other side of the control wire for the horn and -wire that to 87a of the relay.
-Wire the + side of the solenoid to pin 87 on the relay.
-Last, ground the - side of the solenoid.
The stock horn button can be used to activate either horn depending on the position of the rocker switch.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  

Everyone, please read the forum rules: "Any post containing any information that may be considered a violation of law or lead to an unlawful act in the United States of America such as injuring or killing someone or aiding in theft may be deleted and your membership may be suspended without notice. This includes bypassing head unit lockout codes, video bypass procedures, automatic transmission remote start units in manual transmission vehicles, etc."

Instructions on wiring a train horn to a street vehicle would qualify as illegal in most areas of the country.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic