icon

Fiberglassing dashboard, speaker pods

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

ok , just use the same technique and put the 5.25's wherever you want.

as far as just wrapping the dash in fleece and resining it,  I don't think it would work like that. You must do some framing and have good surfaces to staple the fleece to. 

I have never tried to just coat a dash with resin, sand/fill and paint it. If this could be done it would be easy for you. But I don't know if the dash material is porus enough for resin to stick well. Might be worth a shot if you are doing the custom dash anyhow you don't need to worry about ruining it.

Maybe someone else has tried that and can post if it works or not.

yungyawk 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
i might just wrap my dash in the leather they are going to do my interior in then. I have some questions about fiberglassing my trunk im going to take some ppictures and post them and describe what i wanna do. hopefully everybody can give me some suggestions
honda4x4nut 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
I just bought a 86 Chevy K5 Blazer and I am redoing the interior completely. The dash pad was all cracked up. so I chipped all the dried vinyl off, I got it down to the foam coating over the metal. My question is can a just add sculpting foam the the current faom to make a custom shape then lay some resin and mat over the foam? Thanks never tried any thing like this before. I also want to reshape my door panels can i do this the same way?
Black 04 Cadillac Escalade EXT- 13 INCH suspension LIFT,37"nitto mud grapplers,22"MC2 Cadillac wheels, 05 touch screen Nav system, backup cam, Headrest and visor monitors and video input on nav system
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

I don't have alot of experience using "sculting foam" and am not sure if it can be used for what you wish to do effectivly. I imagine if you can get the scuplting foam to properly adhere to the surfaces you wish to apply it to, and have the skills and tools to mold it smoothly, then it may be feasible.

Perhaps someone with experience doing it this way can be of more help. 

Now other then framing it out and basically forming a new dash shape over the old one, on some older cars I have restored and wanted to keep a more original look I have simply removed the damaged covering and repaired any flaws with resin and bondo or used these materials to achieve the shape I desire..

Then bring it to a local upolstry shop to stitch a new covering on it. (I have never paid more then 150 dollars for this service so it is a bargain compared to a new dash in most cases). I wish I had the know-how and equipment to stitch vinyl and leather but I don't. I can wrap virtually wrinkle free if the surface is perfect but in cases where it is physically impossible to stretch the material properly, it will require stitching or look horrible.

Like I have posted to others in the past, if you plan on totally redoing the interior and/or dash anyway why not just try your ideas and see what happens?  Start small. In the worst case you wasted a little time and money on materials. If it works out ,you have found a way that works for you and in the longrun that is what really counts....Good Luck.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic