icon

Mid-bass drivers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, good to see you again squirrel,  Sounds like you are putting together a nice system, I have not used 8's in years so I can't reccomend any but many years ago I used Alpine 8's as subs which I glassed into the back of a porsche 911. everyone who heard it asked "where are you hiding the 15's" so yes, it is possible to get sub from an 8. Of course this was in a perfect enclosure, and these were serious and expensive speakers but unless you can build a sub enclosure into the door ,mid bass is all you can expect. (don't forget lots of sound deadner) Just remember if the amp does not have a band pass cross over you will need to build them yourself or purchase them. real good professional passive band pass cross-overs are expensive but if done right it can fill the "hole" that most systems have in the mid bass frequencies. of course there are many other factors that will effect the sound but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 4:32 AM / IP Logged  

I forgot that there are active crossovers that will do what you need. Did you have one of those because a good one will really allow you to dial it in without having to try all different value components if using passives.

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
Thx everybody. It will be a while before I decide on anything so I still have some time.
As for the crossovers, I plan on trying passive crossovers first, budget restricted and all.
Thx again
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

If you add a dedicated amplifier for the 8's, you could bandpass them using the amp's active crossovers.  Then set the highpass on your mids/highs amp to a higher setting.  For midbass woofers, you could use a variety of drivers including those that are made for home use at 8 ohm impedance.  Look at Madisound for a great selection, and particularly at the closeouts (where I always look first).  As dwarren suggested, and would probably be ayed by one haemphyst on this forum, Morel is a quality driver for the application.  But you could use a variety, and looking through Madisounds lineup will acquaint you with some good ones.

Since your range for these will be limited bandpass, you should build an enclosure for them, I believe, instead of using them IB in the doors.  This is a tip I heard from kfr01 on here some months back, as he said he found that he could achieve more reliable response and sharper impact that way (or words to that effect, IIRC).  Your system will be extremely defined by frequency range when you add these components to the mix, so dialing in the crossover settings on the amplifiers will be a critical part of the job.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

They do make 8's that are specifically geared to sub as well as ones that are geared for midbass. However it depends on the frequency response of the specific 8. Now if the response is lets say 40hz to 2000hz (this is just an example, don't know if any 8's have this specific rating) it could be used as a sub OR a midbass since there is enough frequency response available for either..

Since you are looking for midbass in the doors and not a sub I would start at 100hz on the low side and dial  in the high cutoff in by ear, using different value components. (shoot for 250-300hz and adjust from there)  stevdart has a good point that even though you are not looking for sub an enclosure will give much "tighter" results, better sq.

If you use passives you will also need to decide on a slope, the steeper the slope the more components and money you will need. I think you will be better off with an electronic cross over w/ bandpass and dedicated amp or using an amp with a built in band pass cross over if you can find one. With what you are trying to accomplish if the crossover points are not right  it will probably do more harm to the sound quality then good.

Keep us posted on how its going, appears like this system should be killer.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
nouseforaname wrote:

a speaker designed for sub bass will not acurately produce anything in the midbass frequency range.

That's not necessarily true. The drivers in my home audio speakers produce frequencies from 25 Hz all the way up to 2.8 kHz. And they do it flawlessly. It all depends on the design.
If you don't mind going with some 7" drivers instead, here's some really good suggestions:
For 8 ohms: http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/ExtremisMidwoofers.htm (these are the one's used in my home speakers mentioned above)
For 4 ohms: http://www.mpyreaudio.com/65m0.htm
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

steven, it does not matter that your 8's can do this. As long as nouseforname says thay can't, then all facts, credentials and personal first hand experience are thrown out the window. He will try to make you feel like you are dumb, but since you know from personal experience that you are right and it is not debatible, in a sense he will call you a liar.

But I agree with you 100% because facts are facts and truth is truth. Although some try to warp it, it is futile in the longrun. The problem is that other less experienced people may be getting the wrong info or not knowing who to believe, further adding to thier confusion.

But this is the price we must pay to live in a free country and post on a public forum. I wouldn't have it any other way

peace

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

68 posts in two days?

Take a break, get some coffee.  Go to bed.   Mid-bass drivers - Page 2 -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
You two should stop sniping at each other or I fear they may be a couple of memberships suspended for a while.  Please, chill.
Support the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn, long time no see. if you remember me then you'll remember that this type of blasting always pizzed me off too. Good to be back
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic