Posted: October 11, 2006 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
amen.....
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
cavsfan 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  

Depends on what I am installing. If it is a security system then yes it will be hidden and mounted. If it is a r/s and it is only for programming I will wire tie it to a harness. When you say a wire tie is not a secure mount, do you screw down all of you control modules or do you wire tie them. When is the last time you had a wire tie break??

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
I see 3 pictures with disarm buttons that a customer will never find in the case of an emergency, no matter how many times you show them where it is. Zip tie to the diagnostic plug wiring, have a nice day. Never falls down what kind of wire ties are you using? It's hard enough to break them off when you don't have cutters much less having them fall off.. Of course we don't do many alarms so most of our installs the customer has no reason to go anywhere near the button, I don't even mention it to them unless it's an alarm.
Mike
johnmax 
Copper - Posts: 131
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
cavsfan wrote:

Depends on what I am installing. If it is a security system then yes it will be hidden and mounted. If it is a r/s and it is only for programming I will wire tie it to a harness. When you say a wire tie is not a secure mount, do you screw down all of you control modules or do you wire tie them. When is the last time you had a wire tie break??

+1

cavsfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
Looking at the pics I see 2 customer cars that are coming back on tow trucks if the customer happens to lose or break the remote. I am all for a clean professional install but come on I could hardly find the switch in the first pic. I don't care how many times you show  the customer where that is. Rebmember  thief wuld have to get in peel the column get the ign on and then push the button. If you hide it good but not impossible it will be effective. While I drill a hole and mount most  valet switches/ buttons I have wire tied a few and almost all non-alarm programming buttons and have NEVER had one come loose, hell I have even wire tied a DEI siren or two in tight engine compartments. If you think that wire ties will come loose you might want to find a better supplier.
cavsfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

I am willing to bet they still won't find it no matter how well you explain it, and how many customers take those things out of the glove box. So when the theif is looking through the glove box for valuables you gave them a map to disarming the alarm. Look I know what you are getting at, there are alot of installer that don't take their time and just throw in an alarm and if it works ship it. But you can do a clean well hidden install without taking the entire interior apart.  I was taught to hide it but not make it impossible to find.

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
"Remember thief would have to get in peel the column get the ign on and then push the button"
Looks like a grand am in the first pic so they would also have to figure out a way to bypass the passlock system.
"The owners manual go in the glovebox with the receipts."
The owners manual goes in the garbage with everything else that got ruined when they spilled coffee or food on it. Honestly I don't know what customers do with them, but they never seem to have them, or look for them. Also if every car had a manual in the glovebox telling you where the disarm button is hidden, doesn't that sort of defeat the point of hiding it?
And yeah I see what you are getting at as well, but come on putting down an install because they wire tied the disarm button? Let's get real..
Mike
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
NowYaKnow wrote:
And yeah I see what you are getting at as well, but come on putting down an install because they wire tied the disarm button? Let's get real..
Supporting ^^^ cauze this is minor. BTW, i mount and ziptie.
Note: You Always Dont Get What You Pay For.
cavsfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I feel the same way. This really is not a big deal at all. You know who I feel bad for is the other installers in that shop that probably get written up for not "mounting" a valet switch. So any alarm brain or shock sensor that has been wire tied is  not mounted? Is that unprofessional?
cavsfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

What about the t-tap debate? Those will go on forever.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic