Need RS suggestion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
electricd7 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

My wife has a 1996 Jeep Grand Cheroke Laredo.  It already has factory alarm and keyless entry.  I am wanting to add a remote start to this vehicle while retaining the factory keyfob.  Can this be done, and if so can someone suggest a good model?  Also, will I need any passlock type devices to go along with it for this vehicle?  Thanks.

ED7

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
Your 96 Grand Cherokee's remotes do not have the range that an aftermarket remote will have, meaning you would have to be practically right next to the vehicle to remote start it.
DEI makes an interface for your truck called the 455T, it will control door lock/unlock, arm/disarm, and domelight supervision by connecting directly to the vehicle's data wiring. It is a very easy piece to install and works well.
You do not need any type of transponder bypass, but would have to interface with the factory alarm disarm if you were to not use the 455T.
The factory keyfob will still work just fine even with the aftermarket system installed. You would not need to carry it though.
As far as models go, my preference is DEI. DEI however does not warranty a do it yourself job. Maybe a Scytek unit would be the way to go if you are going to do it yourself. They will warranty the unit if you install it yourself.
Hope this helps.
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
so does the 455T also do remote start?
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Duh...a little reading is all it takes :)  So if I understand correctly, the 455T is a module which interfaces with the factory system, so then I can add say a 560XV to this system to control remote start.  Then i can take the lock/unlock leads from the 560XV module and connect them to the 455T INSTEAD of hunting and connecting to the factory wires.  Gee, this would make life easier.  So I basically need a 455T and another system to control the remote start, lock/unlock, etc.  Does this sound right?
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
You are correct. I would suggest looking into this brand as I have had great success with them. Great range and reliability and easy to install.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
I will second the Ultra's as well, never had a come back with them.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
Astro Starts, 903... great range, one button start /disarm... use factory fob for keyless and rs for starting.... inexpensive too!..
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
I'm gonna disagree about ultrastart. Mind you, I haven't dealt with them for a few years, but I had nothing but problems with them. They had a nasty habit of spontaniously becoming alarms, even if the model you had didn't come with any security features. This was just a software glitch, but it made for lots of comebacks. progamming them sucked too. Unless they changed that.
Scytek rocks tho.
Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
Autostart is another good brand. They have a model called the AS-1221 that is kind of like the 903. 1500ft range, 2 buttons: start and stop, or start/stop and lock/unlock, depending on how you program it.
Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  

I don't know about that but I have over 300 out there now without any problems. I have done several brands prior to this and they have by far exceeded the qualities of the others including scytek, I installed 8 for a dealership because they were cheap and 5 came back with some intresting issues, they were switched out with ultra's and no problems. Maybe they had a design flaw don't know but it cost me a dealership contractNeed RS suggestion -- posted image.................

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic