icon

2 15 lightning audio subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
getsome214 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
well i have 2 15" lightning audio vc2 subs and i want to build a custom box. if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it. each speaker is rated at dual 4ohm, 500 watt RMS or 1500 watt max, 2" 4-layer voice coils, witha mounting depth of 71/8", and recommended vented enclosure air space would be 3.25 cu.ft., is ther any way someone can help me build this or show me the way to a diagram like this i would appreciate it
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

You could figure out the dimensions to the enclosure by yourself mathematically, but it would be much easier and quicker to just use the woofer enclosure calculations provided by this website...

getsome214 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
yeah im trying to work the calculator now a little confusing how i create the 6.73416 cu.ft. of interior volume and alos if you have a opinion of what type or wattage of an amplifier you think i would need for this setup that would be great.
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  

I couldn't even begin to tell you all of the different types of enclosure dimensions you could make to give you an interior volume of 3.25 cu ft! Base your dimensions of your enclosure to conveniently fit the space available in your vehicle.

As for the amplifier... I would go with an amplifier that puts out around 400-500watts RMS@ 4 ohms if you like it loud and nasty! Just watch your amplifier gain setting and volume knob or you could be looking at a smoking speaker very shortly... You could use a 200-300watt amplifier and it would still sound decent and those 15's will never have a problem.

(I really hope this doesn't start up some "underpower theory" crap!)....  lol....  2 15 lightning audio subs -- posted image.

For getsome214 : If you haven't read any of the blowing speakers by underpowering postings then please ignore the above comment.

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  
The amp specs to look for would be:
1 class D mono-block amp rated 1000x1@1ohm
or
2 class D mono-block amps rated 500x1@2ohms (each)
Several suggestions on make/model... Off the top of my head I would say either (2) Rockford Fosgate 500bd's (500x1@2ohms) or (1) JBL BP1200.1 (1200x1@1ohm).
I've installed both amps before, and used to run a 500bd before I got my 1000bd. They are pretty good for the price, and the JBL BP1200.1 is 1ohm stable (the RF is only 2ohm stable). I installed a BP1200.1 for a friend running (2) 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2's in his Civic and it thumped. They were 4ohm DVC's rated 500RMS 1000Peak (similiar to your wattage specs). The last I heard several years ago, Lightning Audio is also subsidiary of RF (just FYI).
Amp selection is mainly personal preference and cash flow. Not everyone can afford a Tarantula or Eclipse. The most important thing to remember is to make sure that the ohm and wattage level match (like I showed above). If you want to get a smaller amp then go for it, but most people in here will agree that it is best to properly match up the subs and amp. In the long run though, it's all in what you can afford and how you want it to sound.
willdkartunes
No, no more "underpower" arguments 2 15 lightning audio subs -- posted image.
However I do have an ohms inguiry concerning your suggested amp rating.
- What type of amp are you suggesting that he get that is rated 400-500watts RMS@ 4 ohms? A mono-block class D or a class A/B multi-channel? You weren't specific. 400-500x?@4ohms
- You are you talking about wiring the subs in series/parallel for a 4ohm total rating, right? If so only putting out apx 200-250watts RMS per sub. I'm just curious why you wouldn't recommend a rating more suitable to the subs ability and ratings (a 1 or 2ohm rating [depending on the number of amps and/or channels] and apx 500watts per sub).
I agree with you concerning watching how the gains are set, it's extremely important to set them correctly. But do you realize that most people that don't know any better turn the gains up too high because they are trying to get more out of the amp?! So starting off with an amp that is under-rated for the subs isn't the best idea IMO 2 15 lightning audio subs -- posted image.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
setting up an amp isnt hard, it takes trial and error to get it right for begginers as more experienced installers can do it easily. if you turn the gain and bass up on the amp to get the most out of your subs they will most likely clip which isnt good. i believe there is a thread on how to set up an amp so none of us have to explain it again
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
How about the Fujitsu Ten DA7232...its 2 channel class d...best of both worlds
getsome214 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
thank you so much for all your help on this i currently know not much at all about most of this but it is going in an 04 corolla and i have 2 performance teknique amps (1) is a digital monoblock amp2000w max with a 24dB crossover, and (2) is a mosfet bridgeable amp max 125w X4ch, also same crossover. not sure if i should run both or just run the 1st one to subs and use the other for my componets and 6x9's and i also have a koiler 800w max amp as well but once again i am completely walking in uncharted territory here and dont understand any of the calulator things on this site and just know how to plug things in . so any thing anyone can recommend i appreciate cause i dont care to pay someone a outrageous amount of money when i know its not as hard as im making it seem. i mean people at shops wanted like 100 - 200 dollars just to install my h/u and i did that for like 40 dollars for wiring kit and harness. so thanks toall for your support on my diy corolla would really love to try fiberglass but i think i'll practice on my one 10" DHD sub that i am taking out of my car to see how i do first.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
How about the Fujitsu Ten DA7232...its 2 channel class d...best of both worlds

Man...still working on how I can get the scratch for that baby!!! My T1s would love it!!!

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
How is one of those offline Flake???
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic