icon

fiberglass trim panel,not structural

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tattoclark 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  

ok i just finish up my last trunk build i have  4 12s with 2 amps in the tire well, its compleatly made of mdf. and i would like to make a trim panel to finish it all into one shape, from the trunk opening all the way 2 the back seat.  one seamless peice from trunk edge also from the top of the trunk lid covering the under side of the rear deck. since this isnt sructural what could i get away with for layers of glass. i was thinking of maybe speaker cloth for the stretch involed and then a layer of chopped mat then maybe a layer of speaker cloth for easy sanding???? or could i maybe get away with just resin soaked flece??? here is a pic of my trunk see if you can see what im gettin at??

more pics at my car domain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/843092fiberglass trim panel,not structural -- posted image.

tattoclark 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 2:47 AM / IP Logged  

pic

fiberglass trim panel,not structural -- posted image.

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  

Now I do have a question for you? How did you get your subs to glow? You just put a neon in the box?

Sorry I dont have an answer for you.

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
i am not sure you can do that trunk in one piece...if there are strut towers in th eay you will have to work inside them, cause if you build behind them you piece will remain stuck in your trunk...
but yeah you will have to build flush rings for your subs...(simple MDF rings that will go around the outside of the sub surrounds)you will also need a spare piece of weather stripping for your trunk...go to a wrecker and get it cheap there..
as for fabric...grill cloth or fleece will be fine...be sure you tin foil the crap out of your setup before starting any glass work though... also leave the subs in..it will make centering and lining up the rings a million times easier...you can then glue the rings to the tinfoil and they shouldnt move...
you will find it easiest and best to do all this work in the car, as a piece this large will twist/ warp on you once the supports for it are gone...
i personally would do three layers of 1.5 once mat over top the fabric...let that cure in the car then apply a nice thick milkshake over it...once the milkshake has cured you can remove it from the car and sand it smooth...
your are likely gonna want to make a window fro the amps to be seen as well since you went throught the trouble of installing plexi...so you will have to build an MDF "ring" in the shape you want the window to be as well...it doesnt have to be an open window either...you can do a HiFonics logo...or you could copy the font off one of your Brutus amps and enlarge the words to make it say BRUTUS...and you would look through letters into the amp enclosure underneath...how ever you do it you will have to build something in MDF...because just cutting it out of the glass once you are done will look poopy and it will most likely vibrate against the plexi, scrathcing it all to crap..
LOL to reiterate...3 layers glass ontop of fabric...covered with milkhake, remove ffrom car sand to desired finish..
Fiberglass Guru.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
realitycheck wrote:

Now I do have a question for you? How did you get your subs to glow? You just put a neon in the box?

that is one way....could also use Cold Cathods..
also the subs have to have translucent Polypropolene cones in order for the light to transmit through it..
and some subs come from factory with LEDS...and glowing devices built into them...
i believe this set up is done with CC...seems too bright for neons...could just be exposure though..
Fiberglass Guru.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
Actually...the subs look more like they are under blacklight than glowing from underneath...of course...I've been wrong before fiberglass trim panel,not structural -- posted image.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
tattoclark 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 4:12 AM / IP Logged  
the bruts glow from the factory they have led rings behind them...
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 4:17 AM / IP Logged  

The answer is yes and...yes.

You can finish it in anything you'd like

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic