Stereo Noise, Static at Low Volume?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
klutch 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I just installed a new Clarion DXZ765MP in a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT I used a Metra harness and soldered and heatshrinked all the connections. The Problem is when the stereo is at about 1 or 2 volume you can hear some static type noise. When you turn it up you really can't hear it, The noise is there if the car is off or on and it doesn't matter if it's on Tuner or CD. Also it doesn't sound any different with engine RPM. Now I am gonna look in to it this weekend but wanted to see if there is anything I should be looking for specifically? Maybe this is a common problem?

Thanks

josh1979 
Silver - Posts: 320
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

do you know if the car has a factory amp? if you are unsure did you hook up a blue or blue / white wire from the radio to a blue or blue/ white to the metra harness? (blue is power  antenna blue/white is amp turn on some times the factory harness will use one wire for both so if only one is there check regardless of color) if so cut this wire if all sound goes away you have a factory amp and that could be the problem sence ther is no gain adjustment on factory amp just live with it or bypass the amp.

bring back the rotary phone so i dont have to press 1 to proceed in english
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  

Josh gave great advice.

however, if you know for certain there is no factory amp I would reccomend checking the voltages.

Using a DMM insert the probes directly into the harness at the deck. Check ground, constant and accessory voltage while the system is operating at listen levels. It might not be a bad idea to check the impedance of all your speakers, although I doubt thats your problem. also check resistance to ground at all speaker wires,,you want the reading to be infinity. (open). keep the deck harness disconeccted while doing this check.

If your voltage readings are not to spec, go from there. If you are reading anything when testing continuity to ground with your speakers, fix that problem.

If all is good i would substitute a different deck to see if its a problem with your vehicles electrical system or an inherent problem with your particular deck.

Let me know what you find.If nothing I posted helps post back with the results and we can take it from there. thanks.

klutch 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the advice, I checked and there is no amp. (its a non-bose system) even cut the antenna wire still sound. I guess I will go buy a DMM (my old one crapped out) and go from there I really hope it isn't the deck I thought clarion was good :-/
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

Clarion is good. But any brand electronics can develop problems from mishandling, improper install, or for many times as I see in my shop no real reason at all, it just went bad.

Since the deck is new it could be a lemon, this happens but if it is something in your vehicle or install you would be returning it for nothing so check it out first.

Good luck with it.

klutch 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 4:47 AM / IP Logged  

I was playing around with it tonight to see if I could find out anything more to the problem. Well the bass and treble range from -6 to +6 I have them on +5 well when it is on 0 the noise goes away? does this mean that I need to replace the speakers? I also was searching and found this from crutchfield.com

How do I eliminate hissing noise?

Answer
It is common, after replacing a factory receiver with a high quality aftermarket receiver, to notice a background hissing sound. The "hiss" is nothing more than the extended frequency response of the new stereo, and not a defect, or wiring problem.
The same holds true when a factory speaker is replaced with a high quality aftermarket speaker. The new speaker has a separate tweeter, which brings out the high frequencies. Any background hiss in the system will now be more noticeable, but should be relatively slight once the source music begins playing.

Again it sounds like the stock speakers just aint gonna cut it with this headunit. Am I right or understanding it wrong?

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, now things are a bit clearer (no pun intended).

The hiss you hear at low volume is different then what you initially described (a "static type" noise).

It is very possible that what crutchfeild stated is the source. I see customers at my shop occasionally with the same complaint. But installing new speakers can potetially compound this hissing you hear as most likely the aftermarket speakers will have better high frequency reproduction capability.

Your vehicle is only 4 years old but depending on how hard the speakers have been driven in the past, and the fact that the stock speakers are probably cheap paper cones, there is no reason a speaker swap should not improve the overall fidelity.

You may have very sensitive hearing at high frequencies, some humans are just that way. The "good" news is that this will diminish over time as you get older. Because I have damaged my hearing from being in a rock band and not using hearing protection, I probably would have to place my ear directly on the speaker to notice this hiss.

If you can live with or get used to it ,this deck can work for you...just keep the treble level down. If not you might need to find a deck with a higher s/n ratio, that may help but there could be some trial and error involved. As I discover more and more over time,specs are not always accurate (or truthful)... but, it's a starting point.

Hope I shed some light.

Good Luck.

klutch 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
So replacing the factory speakers will just make it worse? It isn't that bad you can only notice it when the stereo is nearly mute
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  

Ok..so you basically have found a solution. Keep the volume up above the level of the "hissing"..or maybe theres a rattle snake living in your dashboard??  J/K But correct.....It is logical to assume that upgrading your speakers is going to increase the hiss you hear. The speakers on thier own are not increasing the hiss per say..., that is coming from the deck. They will simply make it more audible as a byproduct of the added high frequecy reproduction of the new speakers. (unless you use a raw mid and no tweeters at all, this would probably eliminate any "audible' hiss but leave a rather dull sounding system)

And nouse...age has not diminished my high frequency hearing as well...just years of abusing my ears. The Flecther-Munson curve for me looks more like a ski slope then a mountain range.

But I guess as I get older, I can only expect it to get worse. so guess I will keep needing more power and speakers until a I eventually become deaf. Judging sound offs and playing in a band ( I stand right in front of 8- 10'' and 2 -15'', and thats my "small" setup) has taken its toll.

Moral..don't be an idiot like me and use hearing protection. But on the bright side I don't hear hiss and minor alternator whine anymore *

klutch 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
So basically is there no way to fix it? just asking because I have seen many car stereo's some really cheap ones and they didn't have this problem. I can live with it but I would like to fix it if at all possible
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic