icon

Kicker L7 and Orion amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tanker333 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
OK everyone, I have an interesting one for you. I have 2 (2006) kicker L7's (12" dual2 ohm). I am thinking of putting them in a slot port box or a bandpass box and it should sound pretty good, but more to the problem.. Kicker's documentation/manual is located here: http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2006/2006%20L7%20Sub%20b01%20WEB.pdf   This states that if I am wiring the subs independantly I can wire them down to 1 ohm impedence. The difficult part of this equation: I have an Orion 1200D amp. This has 2 positive and negative terminals on the outside, for ease of use; I emailed Orion tech support they replied that if I wired my subs at 2 ohms the amp would see a load of 1 ohm impedence, because it is paralleled internally. Now for the good part, f i wire my subs down to 1 ohm impedence they will each be getting 600W RMS, half of the total 1200W RMS the amp is rated at (this is not close to the 750RMS each sub can handle). If I do that will my amp see a .5
ohm load then? My amp is stable at 1 ohm and i have heard of a report made to orion that an install crew was running this amp down to .25 ohms, although extremely not recommended it remained stable. I am confused to what "paralleled internally" means, and what the actual power output will be when wired in the fashion I have outlined; also if anyone has any suggestions/comments for my situation. Thanks a bunch.
P.S. A little more info (if anyone cares): this will be installed in a Mazda3, so limited trunk space and I already ran 4 gauge wire provided with a Stinger wiring kit. The kit came with a fuse, distribution block and a 1.2 farad digital cap as well.
Those who are different change the world, those who are ordinary keep it that way.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
It means the terminals are the same....it would be the same as wiring the subs together in the box.   both pos on the amp are the same and both neg's are the same post internally
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
See if you can trade in those dual 2 ohm version for dual 4 ohm versions...simple problem of mis-matching equipment
tanker333 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2006 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644: why do you say i should trade them in for the 4 ohms, please explain. Also I bought them off of cardomain.com, and they're already at my house so no turning back now.
Also does anyone have any ideas on the ohm load that will be produced here?
Those who are different change the world, those who are ordinary keep it that way.
BulletTooth 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2006 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
Use this tool to see what impedances you can have.
Like aznboy said if you get l7's with 4 Ohm Voice Coils then you'll be able to get 1 Ohm configuration otherwise you're stuck with 0.5, 2, 8 Ohms.
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2006 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  

if you run them at .5 ohm, your amp may theoretically put out up to 2400 rms ( generally out put is halved or doubled when ohm load is done the same). But it probably will not last long, obviously you shouldn't second guess the engineers who created the amp, the specs are there for a reason. I would run it at 2 ohms, it will sound great and run very cool and probably more efficient power usage.

aznboi3644 
Posted: October 21, 2006 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
Sure you can run it at .5 ohms if you want but it won't last long if your charging system can't keep a steady voltage.
tanker333 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
ok, I just want to make sure I get everything straight here. It sounds like the best option here is to wire the subs at 2 ohms (.5 ohm seems kind of flaky and probably won't last long). My amp is paralleled internally so if my subs are wired at 2 ohms each, when i power the amp on it will be putting out a 1 ohm load correct? This is the general response i got from the Orion tech support guy.
So to sum it up, 2 ohm speaker impedence, 1 ohm amp load = 1200 Watts RMS, 600 Watts RMS per sub. I am sort of new to tech aspect of this, so thanks for all the input peeps.
aznboi3644 
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
Negative...if you want to have a two ohm load than wire each sub in series then parallel them
There is no way you can get a 1 ohm load from those subs unless you use one coil on each woofer
Speaker impedance using both coils is either 1 or 4 ohms

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic