Car Alarms, a Difference?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
LowXtreme 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

I know the basics about installing amps, subs, decks, caps... well you get the point, but my question is, is installing an alarm system with remote start and keyless entry too much different from all of those? I was also thinking about taking a class, but reading other people's thoughts on them make them seem to suck. It is funny hearing you guys rip on Best Buy and Circuit City. I work at Best Buy currently, but in the moble electronics section, not as an installer. I know a lot about the products I sell, and even able to install them. The only thing that is confusing to me is alarm installs, just because the directions that come with them suck, and the installers at Best Buy REALLY Suck. They f**k more cars up than I can imagine. I had also thought about getting the MECP book. Would that help at all you think?

Team Xtreme
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
I think you could do it.  I didn't have any experience with alarms or remote starters or keyless entry.  All I had done in the past was install a headunit, amp, and sub.  That was it.  Then I installed a keyless entry system, had some problems of course, but finally got it working.  Then I installed a  remote starter, same thing....had some problems, but finally figured it out.  Then I went all out and installed an alarm.  It took me a while, but I got it (with help from this site).  So go for it, and when you hit a snag, just ask on hereCar Alarms, a Difference? -- posted image.
LowXtreme 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

The only thing I would have to say that I dont understand is the passlock relay. I have a 2001 Chevy s-10 Xtreme and as I was reading on the forum, there are three different types of Gm passlock relays. My question is, how do you go about discovering what type of passlock, 1 2 or 3? Thanks.

Team Xtreme
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2003 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
if you want i can shoot  you the wire colors for your car ..it will gie you a good reference to help you ......it will give locations and what not .....or since you work for BB you can prolly get that info from the guys in the garage.....one other way is to tell one of the guys in the garage that you'll buy the beer if he shows you how to hook up your alarm.....most installers will do it for some beer.....especially if you do the work and they can sit there and do nothing while you are working hard..installguy509
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2003 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
you have a passlock II, and just for the record it goes passlock I, passlock II, then PassKey  III.  Before that was VATS, which has the resistor in the key.  If you are not concerned about saving money, then get a PLDATA to bypass the passlock II.  You should be able to get this from the guys in the back I assume.  but if you want to save the cost of the bypass module you can get a relay and a trimpot to bypass it which will cost about $5 or less if you get it from the guys out back.  If you want the instructions and a diagram for the relay and trimpot method just email me and ask for it.  My first install did not go really smoothly.  I had a terrible wire diagram for my car so I didn't have much help.  I got it all wired up though after a long time and it worked great, no problems at all.  You will have no trouble at all. 
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2003 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

LowXtreme,

I used to work at Best Buy myself, as the install supervisor in Cambridge, Mass.  I saw plenty of installers come and go, but the better ones seemed to leave to find a more ethical and less stressful place to work.

Anyway, though, you already have a great start.  You work in this industry, you've done a little audio work, and you even installed a keyless entry.

By the way, a keyless entry install, and an alarm install, are identical in most ways.  Think of an alarm as simply a keyless unit, with the addition of a siren, a shock sensor, a starter kill, and a way for the unit to sense that a door is being opened.  Oh, and of course you'd like to hide the alarm and its wiring better than you would a keyless entry unit.  But other than those differences, they're surprisingly similar.

The absolute first thing you should do is get all the reading material you can.  Every alarm you sell comes with two books---- an owner's manual, and an install manual.  The customer usually doesn't get the install manual, which means that your installer friends will have a few in their toolboxes.  Also, all of those little DEI bypass pieces have instructions too.  The 555L will include a little information about Passlock for you.

These manuals are not the last word by any means, but they'll get you through a basic no-frills install.  There are LOTS of tricks you'll want to pick up later on that will make the car more difficult to steal, and there will be plenty of unique challenges not covered in the manual.  Oh, and every install manual is a little different---read ALL of them you can find, even for brands you don't like.

Find yourself a friend who has an easy car like, say, an older Accord or Camry.  Hopefully he wants a basic alarm----he wants remote entry, a siren, and his insurance discount, but doesn't care about high security----this is the kind of friend you need.  I can assure you that your early installs will not be terribly theftproof, but start with simple installs on simple cars----once you get the basics down, then start picking up special tricks.

Also, many installers use a tech sheet that gives rough locations on the wires in the car, as well as any special circumstances.  Best Buy sells DEI products, which means they use either Techsoft or Directwire.  Have your installers print you up some sheets to get an idea of what's going on----print up a few popular cars, and also ask the installer to print up what he thinks are the most complex cars.  Print up a 2002 Cadillac DeVille or Seville and see all the weird places DEI wants you to go for wires-----it's never as hard as DEI makes it out to be, but that's still not a quick car.

The MECP book can't hurt, but it only touches lightly on car alarm installs as I remember.  It will help you with basics such as using a multimeter or test light, how to test a wire in a car for proper operation, etcetera.  But any reading is good reading.

Can you find a way to get some training at Best Buy?  Even if your installers are bad, that doesn't mean they can't teach you things---at the very least, you can remember and learn from their mistakes.  If you can convince your install supervisor that you're able to do basic deck installs, he might have you help out during a busy period or when someone is out sick.  When you see your DIST, tell him you're interested in installing, and back it up by telling him what experience you have.

One of the great things about those box stores is the astounding variety of cars and situations you see---there might be a fancy, complicated car getting remote start in one bay, and in the other bay, the installers are trying to figure out/rebuild the wiring of an old car that's had five different radios stolen from it......if you have a sharp memory (or a notebook), you can pick up a lot there.

You probably know that you'll be using relays and diodes a lot, and resistors sometimes too.  There are good descriptions of each on this site; read them as carefully as you can.  Don't worry if you don't understand all of it now; it'll come to you.

Hey, that's how I learned this business.  I got into home audio as a little kid because of my father, owning my first set of true hi-fi stereo components at age 12.  Around the same time, I installed my first car stereo--a shaft-mount Audiovox and a pair of speakers in my cousin's '70 Nova.  The installed turned out to be reliable, too.  I joined my friends as a car stereo salesman at Circuit City.  Shortly thereafter, the manager realized that I was a terrible salesman but had good technical knowledge, and brought me out back as an installer, where I caught on pretty quickly on the audio side of things.

After a few months, I did a few easy alarms with a seasoned installer alongside me at nearly every step.  One night, I told my mother I needed to borrow her '90 Accord for something, and took it down to the shop after closing time.  It took me a good four hours or more, but I removed a broken old alarm, and did my very first remote start install all by myself:  A DEI 551R with keyless entry, and an extra relay to make the parking lights work.  I drove home that night with a great feeling of accomplishment, as well as a Mother's Day present!  That was just over four years ago, and it still works great too.

Sorry for the long story, but hopefully you get the idea.  If you have the ambition and interest, a few easy cars and a few good friends who don't mind a couple of mistakes, and good websites like this one, you can do it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic