icon

06 silverado check engine light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
well, I have put in quite a few remote starters in these pickups, but not an 06 yet. I somehow managed to trip a check engine light. I have the 2nd ignition powered up and all, and the remote starter works and functions properly. Is there a way to clear this code without going to the dealer? Thanks!
Dallas
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
Just disconnect the battery for a few minutes, it'll go out....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
green6767 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
disconnected the battery for 10 mintues, still got the light. Shouldnt after disconnecting the battery, the presets for the radio be erased? they weren't erased. anymore suggestions on the check engine light?
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
This is why i spent 40 bucks on Ebay and got a code reader. It allows you to not only read the code but erase it to. A valuable tool for the money. To answer your question, surely you would think the presets would go but maybe not. Maybe try longer...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
The radio presets won't erase with disconnecting the battery. If the engine code is a current one as the light being on every time you start the vehicle, it means that a problem still exists. Re-check your wiring. The light will go out if the problem ceases to exist. It will remain in the PCM as a history code for atleast 40 ignition cycles before it is erased. Disconnecting the battery on GM vehicles made for the last 10 or so years doesn't erase the code. You can only erase it with a scan tool.
sparky
green6767 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
I rechecked the wiring. I am installing a 4204 AstroStart. Here is what how I wired the truck:
12V - Red
Ign - Pink
Ign2 - White
Acc - Orange
Starter - Yellow
Neg Park Lights - grey/black at pcm
Brake - White at switch
Horn - BLACK / YELLOW at ign. Harness
Tach - White on back of instrument cluster
Could the code been tripped by me not having power to my programmable relay for the 2nd ign when I started the truck with the key to program tach? After i started it, programmed tach, and realized that I didn't have power hooked up to the relay that controls second ign. At this point, the GMDL module WASN'T hooked up. The truck was remote started after the installation was FULLY complete. I have checked, rechecked, and rechecked again the wiring and there is no apparent problem. I have NEVER in 10 years of installing used the Brown wire for 2nd Accessory, so I'm assuming thats not it. I unhooked the batter for over 30 minutes, still the light remains. I'm pretty sure I will have to have the code reset by somebody with a scan tool. I think I will be getting a scan too very soon! Thanks for any advice!
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Two things you can try. First disconnect the negative parking light circuit. I am assuming that you meant you hooked into the wire at the BCM under the steering colum and not the PCM. It should be in the BCM brown plug (Only gray/black wire). If this isn't the problem, then yes you have set a hard code in the transmission if you didn't power the second ignition wire and started the truck. You can try two ways. 1st - Turn ignition on for 5 seconds and then turn off. Repeat 40 times. 2nd - Hook the battery to a charger and try this. Start the truck and let it run for 5 seconds. Do this 40 times. If you have already started the engine a few times then you won't have to count all the way to 40.
sparky
green6767 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, I did hook up the negative park lights at the BCM, its corrected now. I'm pretty sure I set a hard code, but luckily I work at a dealership where I can access a scan tool. I was just doing this one on the side at my house, so I had no access to a scan tool on a Sunday. I just wanted to get it erased before the guy came to pick it up. He ended up picking up the vehicle, but he was fine with bringing it by my work tomorrow and I'll just reset the code. I appreciate the help from all of you that replied! I now know what NOT to do in this situation again
tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2006 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  

Turn the ignition on, and disconnect the battey for ten minutes, leaving the ignition on the whole time. That should clear the code. Also, don't forget the second accessory. Its brown, and not connmecting it can set codes too.

Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
green6767 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2006 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
The customer came back today to get the code cleared, the check engine light was off. It must have turned itself off, but the codes were still present, so I cleared them. He was cool with it and he was on his way, problem solved. In all the years I have been installing, I have never set a check engine light on a GM pickup. I'm thinking it was the 2nd ignition wire that I was using the programmable relay from the AstroStart and forgot to supply power to that before I started the truck to program tach. Pretty sure thats what tripped the light. I have never hooked up the brown 2nd accessory wire in a GM truck in 10 years installing, so I cant see that being the problem. Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic