icon

FG Piece Size

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mr beta 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2006 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
I've been doing some extensive reading on fg-ing and I've got a question about laying down the layers.
I've read that it's better to tear the mat rather than cut it, but how small/big should the pieces be. It might be a stupid question but I'm not too sure.
I'm trying to get all my questions answered before I dive into a project. I'm glassing a box in the corner of my trunk. I know to tape and foil the wall etc..., but how small should the pieces that I'm layering on the wall be? Is it better to lay it down in small squares, big squares, long strips?
Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to my my question clear.
Thx in advance
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2006 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
I prefer smaller pieces because they are easy to work with. When you lay them all down and the resin hardens, they become a whole piece again so it really doesnt matter. smaller pieces are easier to work out the air underneath, easier to lay, and when you run out of resin, you dont have the chance of having a bunch of unsoaked mat left.
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2006 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  

i break my matting up into about 5 inch and 7 inch squares.  i have them in a container and i just gab whichever size is approriate for the working im doing, i alos have afew small bits in my container, dont work with overly large peices, just makes more room for error

Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
mr beta 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2006 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
Thought so.
Thanks guys.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2006 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i am the same way with my pieces....
i just do it in piles though...one pile about 2x2" next 3x3 and finally a pile about 5x5...
too much bigger and your just going to make a mess..
it also really depends on the size and shape of the project...smaller projects or really curvy ones require smaller pieces..larger flatter ones can use bigger pieces...
Fiberglass Guru.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic